Last week the box in the cornerstone of the present E.U.B. church was removed. In the contents of this box was a copy of the Tri-County Gazette for September 13, 1894. This paper was published at Mentone and had as its motto, "Kosciusko, Marshall and Fulton county news our speciality." The editor, publisher and proprietor of the paper was C. M. Smith. The Gazette was published weekly, the subscription price being $1 per year.
Mentone was a young village in 1894, having been laid out 12 years before when the Nickle-Plate came through our county. A time table in this newspaper reveals that four passenger trains, two each way, stopped at Mentone. The railroad agent was Frank E. Fox, who was also the town's treasurer.
Three churches had notices in the paper: the M. E. on East Main street, Henry Bridge, pastor; the Baptist at the corner of Broadway and Harrison, W. R. Shelt, pastor; the M. P. on South Franklin street, J. R. French, pastor. There was also an announcement that Little Ethel, the "Child Elocutionist" was to give an entertainment at the M. P. church.
The two leading general stores were Forst Brothers and Clark and A. C. Manwaring's Cash Bargain store, which, according to old timers, were right across from each other at the corner of Main and Broadway. They both had large ads in this issue of the Gazette.
The Banner Block seemed to be the most important business building in town at that time. Physicians M. G. Yocum and H. E. Bennett and Attorney M. H. Summy had their offices in this building. Upstairs in the Banner Block were the GAR, IOOF, and KP halls, where each of these organizations held their meetings.
Other advertisements in the paper include G. W. Jefferies' Machine Shop, Albert Tucker's Coal and Building Material Sales, Justice of the Peace J. Tillman, Barber C. M. Swigart, W. B. Doddridge's watch repairing, and the Farmer's Bank of which E. M. Eddinger was cashier.
News briefs in the paper were from Harrison Center, Burket and Sevastopol in our county and from Ilion (now Tippecanoe) in Marshall county.
Warsaw Times-Union Tues. Apr. 20, 1954