Our County History
by County Historian Marion W. Coplen

The Etna Green centennial is now history, but the events of the past week will not soon be forgotten by the townsfolk there.

Perhaps many of our county people do not realize that as a part of the centennial observance a very remarkable 68 page book entitled "History of Etna Green and Etna Township, Indiana" was published. This will be a lasting reminder of the town's celebration of its 100th birthday.

This book tells the story of Etna Green between 1853 and 1953. It tells of the founding of the town and township, the organization and growth of the schools and churches, the development of the fire department, and the fires which that department was called upon to fight. The naming of "Bloody Corners" the windstorm of 1855, the railroad wreck of 1888, the bank robbery of 1930, the political rallies, the Fourth of July observances --all these and many more incidents are recorded in this publication.

The committee in charge of the publication did considerable research into county and town records, census reports, and county histories. They interviewed many of the older citizens of the area. They are to be commended for a job well-done.

The writing of local history is a fascinating and worthwhile endeavor. We soon develop a keener appreciation of the debt we owe to those who have gone on before. One reason why more local histories are not written is that the cost of publication is so high and the number of potential buyers is so low that most books of this nature are produced at a loss. We have heard this problem of publication discussed a number of times at history conferences and workshops. The fact that this Etna Green history sells for only $1.50 is a remarkable fact in itself.

It would be fine if every town and township in the county would write a history similar to the one written by this Etna Green committee. Members of the committee were Mrs. Ralph Mason, Mrs. Cletus Griffith, Mrs. Donald Poulson, Mrs. Junior VanCuren and Mr. Theodore Good.

Warsaw Times-Union Tues. Aug. 11, 1953