The Warsaw postoffice was established in February, 1837, with Jacob Baker as the first postmaster. This first office was probably in Baker's home, which was located near West Ward school. As Andrew Jackson was President of the United States at the time it is probable that the first postmaster was a Jacksonian democrat.
From 1837 until the time of the Civil War the average length of service of a postmaster at this office was about two and one-half years. The location of the office usually moved each time there was a new postmaster.
The county map of 1866 shows that the postoffice was then in a room on West Center street at the present location of the Warsaw Dry Cleaners. At that time the postmaster was Peter L. Runyan, who had been appointed to the office by Abraham Lincoln on March 29, 1861. In 1867 a disabled veteran of the Civil War was appointed to the office. He was John N. Runyan, son of Peter L., who had been struck by a minnie ball at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. The wound necessitated the amputation of his right leg. It is interesting to note that with the exception of a four months period this father-son combination held the office of postmaster for 25 years, from 1861-1886.
The 1914 Atlas locates the office in the 200 block on South Buffalo street. By this time the federal government was giving serious thought to the building of a postoffice building in Warsaw. Government site officials came to Warsaw as early as 1915 to look over proposed locations. Their number one choice at that time seemed to be the Funk property at the southeast corner of Market and Indiana streets. It was not until 1921, however that the federal government purchased a site, buying the Bash property at Market and Lake streets. The actual construction still had to await an additional congressional appropriation, and it was several years before such a grant was made. By this time the office had been moved from South Buffalo to the Opera House building on East Market. In 1930 the present building was erected on the Bash site nearly 20 years after the project had first been considered.
Warsaw Times-Union Sat. Sept. 12, 1953