Each County Historian in Indiana has been given the task of locating and describing the houses in his county still standing that were built before 1860.
It is doubtful if there are very many houses that old in Kosciusko county today. Any information residents of the county can send us will be appreciated, for we will soon be asked by the state library and historical board to make our report.
Out of the accumulated information sent in from each county the state society expects to learn what style of architecture was in vogue before the Civil War, how many examples remain and what are the handsomest examples in existence.
In the years before the Civil War, our county was definitely in its pioneer period. During such a period the citizens of a community usually did not build substantial homes, for they were not wealthy and were not sure they would remain. After the pioneer period passed, the "leading" citizens usually tore down their log or frame buildings and built substantial brick homes, some of which are still standing today.
As far as we have any record, the oldest homes still standing in Kosciusko County were built by these leading citizens just after the Civil War.
The Frazer home on East Center street in Warsaw was built perhaps as early as 1858. It is soon to be torn down. The Thayer home at the northwest corner of Scott and Center streets and the Funk home at the southeast corn of Market and Indiana streets were probably built in the 1860's
The Leedy home on North Columbia and the Phillipson home on North Lake were built in the 1870's.
Billy Williams, Ancil Ball and John N. Runyan built homes in Warsaw which are still standing and which are now nearly eighty years old. We have very little information on old houses in other parts of the county.
Warsaw Times-Union Sat. Sept. 13, 1952