Our County History
by County Historian Marion W. Coplen

In our last column we referred to a 1911 historical publication which contained biographies of many Kosciusko citizens of that day. Sketches of the lives of nearly all of the Warsaw city officials are included in this history. In 1911 Benjamin F. Richardson was mayor of Warsaw, Charles B. Moon was city marshal and fire chief, Frank T. Webb was city clerk, and the five councilmen were William Calvin Cronin, J. G. Calvert, Patrick J. Scollard, William H. Bennet and R. J. Roberds. Most of these officials had been elected to office in 1910. Al of them were Republicans with the exception of Scollard who was a Democrat.

The period of years around 1911 was very important in the history of Warsaw. Many civic improvements, such as paving of streets, better lighting, etc., were being made at the time. For the most part these city officials were progressive in thought and were eager to further the material advancement of the city.

Charles B. Moon had a long and distinguished career as a police officer and sheriff. He served on the police force for 16 years before being appointed marshal in 1910. He won the Carnegie medal and $1,000 for his daring effort to save the lives of J. V. Godman and William H. Funk, city employees who were overcome by sewer gas in the North Buffalo street lift-well in 1904. Moon also served as fire chief for a number of years.

City Clerk Frank T. Webb was born and educated in Warsaw, and for 12 years had operated a jewelry store in Milford. Returning to Warsaw he was elected city clerk in 1909.

Councilman Cronin was a newspaper man, having been associated with the Daily Times and Northern Indianian in 1902. J. G. Calvert was a Warsaw merchant; Scollard and his two brothers, Jack and Tom, ran the Brunswick Billiard and Pool Parlors at 210 South Buffalo Street. Councilman Bennett was the oldest of the city officials, having been born in Plain township in 1841. A Civil War veteran who had been on Sherman's March to the Sea, Bennett had moved to Warsaw from his farm home in 1870. Roberds, the fifth councilman, was engaged in the cigar and tobacco business in the city.

Warsaw Times-Union Sat. Nov. 7, 1953