One hundred and twelve years ago this week the Presbyterian church at Warsaw was organized by authority of the Logansport Presbytery. Nine persons composed the charter membership; William Williams, who was an outstanding citizen of Warsaw for many years was one of the first elders.
This was the second church society to be organized in Warsaw, the Methodists having organized a few years earlier.
The church had no regular pastor until 1843 when Rev. Samuel G. Weeks began a five year pastorate. The first building was constructed during the service of the second pastor, Rev. Thomas Bascom.
Rev. W. S. Wilson began a fourteen year pastorate in 1854. Two years of that time, however he was on leave of absence, serving as a chaplain in the Civil War. In 1866 the second Presbyterian church was built, at a cost of about $1,300. It was located on the south side of Market street near High. This building was sold in 1882 to the United Brethren society and was moved to West Market street where it is now a residence dwelling.
Rev. Thomas Boyd was the pastor of the church from 1877 to 1888, and it was during his pastorate that the third church was built. By this time the church membership had grown to about 125. This was a brick edifice which cost $13,280. It was dedicated July 1, 1883.
The present church building of the local Presbyterian church was dedicated with impressive ceremonies in October of 1915. Rev. John M. Eakins was the pastor of a membership which had grown to over 400.
Warsaw Times-Union Sat. Nov. 8, 1952