In November of 1924 a series of articles and cartoons entitled "Who's Who in Warsaw was run in the Warsaw Daily Times. This series brings out many interesting things about leading personalities around Warsaw and our county at that time. An artist by the name of McDougall drew pictures illustrating the life of these prominent citizens. Each cartoon was accompanied by a biographical sketch.
The first of the series appeared on November 7 and featured William D. Frazer. He was one of the founders of the Warsaw Chamber of Commerce and was president of the organization for eight years. During his term of office six factories came to Warsaw.
On the following day the life of Victor M. Hatfield was featured. At that time he was president of the Warsaw Kiwanis club. Cartoons of his life illustrate his activities in helping to develop Winona, and his poetry writing.
The life of Judge L. W. Royse was the subject of the Nov. 10 feature. McDougall's illustrations brought out the facts that Royse was president of the Rotary club, that he had started teaching at the age of 18, and that he had served two terms as a United States congressman from Indiana's 13th district.
The fifth of the series concerned Marcus Phillipson. In 1859 he landed in New York from a sailing vessel. Shortly after that he got a job as a clothing salesman at Westchester, Pa. He fought in the Civil War with the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, and in 1864 established a clothing store in Warsaw. The events of his life are illustrated in the Nov. 12 issue.
Dr. John C. Breckenridge was the subject of the next of the series. He was at that time the general manager of Winona assembly. He had been associated with Winona since 1903, and had served for many years as president of Winona Agriculture college.
The last of that particular series of "Who's who" featured Charles A. Butler. He had come to Warsaw a number of years earlier to work as a window decorator for Dickey and Sons Dry Goods store. Later he established the Consumers' Service station, one of the first filling stations in the city.
Warsaw Times-Union Sat. Dec. 5, 1953