NOTE: This column started in the Warsaw Daily Times on January 13, 1932 and appeared daily through the end of April, 1932. You will find lots of names and incidents mentioned. All has been included along with credits. The date of the newspaper will be at the at the TOP of the column. Several columns will be included in each segment. Names have been bolded for emphasis. There is no indication who compiled the column for the paper. Marge

Part 3

Our Town and Others "Way Back When"

Warsaw Daily Times February 1, 1932

Remember when:
Women wore high button shoes, bustles, long dresses that dragged the ground, put rats in their hair to make it look pompadour, and only the wild ones used lip-stick or powder.

Winona Park started under that name and sold millions of bottled mineral spring water and shipped it everywhere at five cents a pint. It was just ordinary spring water called "Winona Water".

Hugh Woods assisted his father, who was the contractor for putting in the Warsaw sewer system, still in use here. That was some thirty-one years or more ago.

Winona hotel was open the year round and operated by Mr.Ross. It was used as a dormitory for Winona College students.

John Hansman encountered Sam Hutton hunting. Hansman told Sam that he couldn't hit the side of a barn with that old gun. Hutton said: "Throw your hat up in the air and see if I can't." Hansman complied and sailed his hat high. Hutton aimed, but withheld his shot until the hat fell on the ground, then shot a big hole right through it.

Cruikshank Brothers came to Warsaw 30 years ago and started the pickle factory. Bill Kleinmann and Charlie Makemson have been working there almost continuously ever since, starting in as boys.

Wood was the only fuel and mills and railroads and homes used wood exclusively. Coal was unknown. Farmers, sometimes a hundred of them were lined up around the court house, with their wagons loaded with wood waiting for an opportunity to sell.

Streets were unpaved here and horses pawed knew-deep holes while standing hitched to the hitch-racks. Later cobblestone was placed along the gutters to prevent the horses digging such holes.

The Fourth Regiment band made up of mostly Warsaw musicians, gave a concert at Lakeside Park before leaving for Cuba.

There was no electric lights nor even coal-oil lights. everyone depended upon candles and housewives made their own candles by moulding sheep tallow and placing a piece of cloth or string down the center as a wick to complete the candle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 2, 1932

Remember when-
Everybody accompanied you to the depot when you left for Chicago and as the train pulled in everyone was being kissed goodbye.

Baseball and football was played here at Rivereview Park, just west of West street.

The Winona steamer used to take passengers from its dock in the canal near the Big Four depot and gas house to and from Winona Lake.

"Con" Walters operated most of the refreshments concessions at Winona Lake and served soda water at the Winona boat pier.

The first gong was installed at the east end school house and Chief C. B. Moon and Principal I. W. Sharp instructed the children how to march single file from the building in case of fire. This happened shortly after the fatal Iroquois theatre fire in Chicago in which many more lives were lost through people being trampled to death than through death by flames.

When we used to wear three pairs of breeches whenever we knew that Prof. I. W. Sharp or L. L. Kemper was going to paddle us.

When Dr. W. A. Mabie was sheriff and his son, Bert, was deputy. Being horsemen, they could tack a stolen horse even to telling his color by the hoof prints. His system was later developed into the fingerprint Bertillon measurement identification system now in use for criminals.

U. S. Lidguard operated the summer resort at Hoffman lake.

Neighbors on E. Fort Wayne street called police shortly after Sam Hutton met up with a skunk out by Lakeside Park.

When the Lesh Manufacturing Company was located at the corner of W. Market and Columbia streets and manufactured "plow-handles". Every boy in town had one, made of hickory or oak and used the clubs for shinny games. Lumber was stacked in every vacant lot in that neighborhood, providing great places for boys to hide.

I. W. Sharp would send pupils out to get soft maple paddles, which proved not so soft.

Charles Barbour used to sell lightning rods here and every home had one or more and every barn was equipped with them, usually with a weather vane, a device in the shape of a crowing rooster which pointed in the direction from which the wind blew. The biggest lightning-rod factory in the middle west still is located in Goshen. There are still many lightning-rods on buildings throughout the country.

When "Pop" Syphers operated his pop and ice cream factory here 36 years ago and thus earned his nickname.

George West, janitor at the new Warsaw postoffice, was a porter on the Santa Fe railroad.

C. A. Rigdon's store on North Buffalo street called the "Fair" carried everything imaginable in stock, especially in unusual and novelty merchandise. One time a country church was built near Warsaw and the clergy man was seeking a pulpit. Some one directed him to Rigdon's and there he purchased the finest mahogany pulpit you ever saw, right out of stock.

The "Back When" editor must have help. Write us your items and mail to "Back When" editor, Warsaw Times.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 3, 1932

Remember when--
The Opera House was heated by stoves and on below-zero nights it was impossible to keep the hall warm and the shows were postponed.

Boys in the peanut gallery would whistle loud and shrill and applaud special acts given between the main acts of the show while scenery was being changed. What a bedlam broke loose when Simon Legree threw a quid of tobacco right in Lawyer Marks' eye and then whipped poor Uncle Tom with a blacksnake whip. Everybody cried when Uncle Tom said: "You may own this old back body of mine, but my soul belongs to de Lord." It was quite a touching scene when Little Eva died and ascended into Heaven and we boys pulled little Eva up into the top scenery with a long rope and pulley. The pulley sometimes jammed and little Eva only made a partial ascension and hung suspended and frightened in mid-air until the curtain rang down. With arms outstretched Uncle Tom kept repeating, "Good-bye, Missie Eva."

Small boys chanted the catchy wisecrack of the time, "Remember the Maine, to hell with Spain".

The importance of a visiting show at the opera house was quickly judged by the amount of scenery it brought along and we watched Clark Holbrook unload it at the opera house.

Willard Frush, Stub Meek, Roy Bartol, John Mathews, Walter Mulford, Skinny McConnell, Chet Stewart, Ernie Osborn, Sam Hutton, George Duffer Dare used to help C. A. Rigdon about the old town Opera House. When Liza with her baby crossed the ice we furnished the ice and water effect by waving a big piece of cloth held a little above the stage floor level. The cloth was painted water color with cakes of floating ice pictured on the cloth.

The stock companies played "Ten Nights in a Bar Room," "Faust," "Peck's Bad Boy," "Two Old Cronies," "War in Shanty-Town," "Under the Black Flag," "Uncle Tom's Cabin," "East Lynne,"Alvin Joslin," "Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde," and many other melodramas.

Charlie Douglass used to see that boys under 16 were off the streets when the curfew rang at 9 o'clock.

George Wright, Ben Phillipson and John Hansman were ushers at the opera house at special entertainments and Dave Nelson sold tickets at the box office.

Company H, Warsaw National Guard unit, marched to the Big Four, starting for the Spanish-American war. Walter Brubaker, then a recruit, without uniform, carried a gun and other equipment, with a big sack of eatables. The Fourth Regiment band led the parade to the station. The "Back When" editor rode a bicycle beside the soldiers. George Loveday and Joe Foote were looking after a big horse presented to Major Elmer Harter, of this city. The horse had a special box car. Herb Kehler was quartermaster sergeant and E. E. Philpott a corporal.

The late Walter Horn used to drive the spirited fire engine team of horses, "Tom and Jerry" and it was a thrilling sight to see the horses dashing to a fire and Horn leaning far out and pushing and pulling on the lines, then called "ribbons".
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 4, 1932

Remember when--
The bathing beach was first opened at Lakeside park. Bathing suits of both ladies and gents were made of gingham. They shrank as soon as the wearer entered the water. It was a real job getting them off. They were not so abbreviated as now.

Waving the handkerchief was the height of applause and known as the "Chautauqua salute" and every speaker at the Winona auditorium was greeted with this tribute, a substitute for hand clapping.

Our Friend Sam Hutton presented us with his own private home brew recipe as follows: "chase some wild bull-frogs about three miles or less and gather they hops. To them add ten gallons of tan bark to give it body; one quart of shellac to make it smooth, one bar of soap to insure it will foam properly. Boil it for 36 hours, stirring with an I. W. W. spoon to prevent its working. Add not more than one grasshopper to give it no more than the legal one-half of one percent. Then call Chiefie Frank Lucas, and throw it out the window.

The dam was built in Winona Lake to prevent flooding the farm lands south of Warsaw and to maintain a uniform level on Winona Lake. J. F. Beyer and John Grabner engineered the building. The county board of commissioners granted Mr. Beyer the right to regulate the lake level, but the dam was erected of cement and by mistake four inches higher than the level set by state engineers. However, the present level is quite satisfactory. This was some 29 years ago.

Reed's crossing a few miles south of Warsaw was a shipping point for many cattle on the Big Four road.

Jerry Herron operated a tin shop at the corner of Lake and Market streets long after Mr. Furlong had his marble shop there.

A laundry located at about 118 West Market street experienced an explosion which wrecked and set fire to the building. The laundryman, named Taylor or Miller, at the scene, before a large crowd, accused his competitors, the Chinese laundrymen, with causing the explosion and fire. The mob proceeded to 118 West Center street to the Chinese laundry and found the "men" ( I substituted more appropriate word) diligently ironing and at work. The foreigners were dragged outside and preparations were made to lynch them to a tree in the courtyard just across the street. Gen. Reub. Williams and Rev. John Hatfield, father of the late Ham Hatfield, interceded for the Chinese and warned the mob against rash, hasty action on such flimsy evidence. The mob was calmed and hesitated. Soon thereafter it was proven that the American laundryman had blown up his own place of business with a powder charge, probably to collect insurance or to cast suspicion on his competitors who had taken his business. The man had been seen running from the rear of his laundry after setting off the powder charge. He later admitted it and left town.

The southwest part of Warsaw was called "Frogtown," because it is near the creek and there were so many frogs croaking all summer long around there. No one ever spoke of that locality in any other words than "Frogtown."

When the sewing machine business was just about as active as the automobile business has been in the past few years. Mayor L. J. Bibler was agent then for the famous Singer sewing machines which revolutionized dressmaking.

Albert Bumbaugh invented rubber-soled shoes for horses shortly after hard rubber tires were adopted on buggies. Then came pneumatic tires for buggies. They looked like bicycle tires.

The late John Trish operated a blacksmith shop.

The Hays board house, a large three-story frame building, which stood near the junction of the Big Four and Pennsylvania railroads where is now located the Little Crow Mill. Elijah Hays built it. Later it was removed to Winona. Hays had another three-story frame hotel which stood on the site now occupied by the Hotel Hays. Elijah Hays resided in a frame home across the alley from the M. E. parsonage.

Trapping of fur-bearing animals was a great winter source of revenue around here for farmers. Shane & Son used to buy thousands of hides. Thousands of cow hides were piled every winter in big stacks on the side walk at the Shane corner, Buffalo and Center streets, salted and stored in the basement until ready for shipment. The aroma was very noticeable. Salt, was used to preserve the raw hides until they were shipped to tanneries.

William Conrad had a fine factory for making wagon and buggy axles, hubs and spokes and located where now stands the center ward school.

E. B. Myers was chief accountant and auditor for the Beyer Bros. Produce companies here and at Rochester.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 5, 1932

Remember when--
The White House, a big hotel building stood where now is located the Eagles building and formerly the Rigdon building. It changed hands and management many times. William Forler & Son operated it about 30 years ago. A pool room, saloon, newsstand and cafeteria operated in connection with the hotel in the same building.

Charley Grabner had a big ice sail boat on Center Lake.

Roy Ruse fixed his motorcycle to sled runners and raced all over the ice on Center Lake at a speed of 70 miles per hour. Chains on the rear tire provided traction.

In 1883 Dan Netter's shepherd dog kept cows from grazing on the court house lawn. In appreciation Austin Funk, then a court house official, rebated Netter his one dollar dog tax.

Wesley Makemson, farmer resided on the old Missionary farm on Winona Lake, disappeared on a Monday in 1889. On the following Friday a hundred Warsawans and neighbors organized a hunt and started to march through a big woods near his farm. The searching part headed by John Nighswander, who was to sound a bugle to recall the searchers if the missing man was located. Early in the search what remained of the body was found by Ira Makemson, nephew of the missing man. Hogs had devoured it and torn it to pieces, only the bones remaining. There was nothing remaining which might prove the manner of death like a bullet hole or club wound. However tracks showed where the supposedly murdered man had entered a corn field and about ten corn rows distant were smaller parallel foot prints indicating the murderer had stealthily stalked his prey. No one was ever arrested for the supposed crime. -(T.A.)

William's street railway. In the year 1868 William (Billy) Williams, regarded in early days as one of Warsaw's foremost and most progressive citizens, inaugurated a spirited movement for the development of what was then known as East Warsaw. Through his enterprising efforts, the territory lying east of the residence of the late Judge James S. Frazer on East Center street, including several blocks on East Fort Wayne street, was duly platted and placed on the market. However, the section bounded on the north by Center, on the south by the Pennsylvania railroad right -of-way, on the east by Bronson and on the west by Scott street, was reserved for the fair grounds of the Kosciusko county agricultural society. The extension of Market street from its former terminus at Hickory street was then undreamed of, likewise Main street. A South Bend firm, Wharton & sons, wagon and carriage manufacturers, was induced to locate here and erected a large and commodious frame building on the north east corner of Center and Bronson streets. East Warsaw experienced quite a boom and many attractive homes were erected, among them the Frazer, J. D. Thayer and A. T. S. Kist residences, and Mr. Williams built for his own home the residence for so many years known as the abode of the late A. G. Wood. So enthusiastic and optimistic was Mr. Williams relative to the future growth and commercial importance of Warsaw, that he secured a franchise and constructed a street railway on Center street extending from Buffalo to Bronson street. One of the old-style street cards was purchased and according to custom in those days, was operated by horse power--or rather in this instance the motive power consisted of a pair of large gray mules. Thomas Douglas served in the double capacity of driver and conductor. While the patronage was not sufficient to pay fixed charges and interest on the investment, it was regarded as a necessary factor by Mr. Williams in his endeavor to develop his new additions to the city. The line was operated until the fall of 1872, at which time the memorable financial panic of 1873 began to cast its shadow.
That disastrous event punctured the East Warsaw boom to the extent that the street car line was abandoned and building activity in the entire area was almost wholly suspended. The street car was stored on the premises of the late Dr. Jacob Boss, the present home of J. Fred Beyer, on East center street. Thee it remained until the campaign year of 1876, when Rutherford B. Hayes and Samuel J. Tilden were the respective candidates of the Republican and Democratic parties for presidency. Tilden was said to have been an immensely wealthy man and his campaign managers laid great stress on the claim that he had a "barrel of money" with which to make his election certain. An old fashion rally was arranged by the Republican leaders of Kosciusko county, to take place a few days prior to the election. An immense parade was planned. Among charges made by the Republicans against the fitness of Tilden for president was the assertion that he had been implicated in some sort of conspiracy, as a director of the Chicago and Alton railroad, whereby the stockholders of that company had been ruthlessly defrauded. The idea was conceived by some of the promoters of the rally to utilize the old street car in the parade. Accordingly the car was brought downtown and large signs bearing the inscription "Chicago & Alto Railroad" placed on either side. In addition a hogshead was placed atop the car, surmounted by a large banner bearing the words, "Tilden's Bar'l."
The outfit was dragged through "the then unpaved streets of the city traversed by the lengthy parade and was drawn by a team of six horses. As a coincidence it is worthy of note that the driver of the car during the parade was Thomas Douglas, its former custodian and operator during its halcyon days on the rails. The "passengers" consisted of a motley crew of noisy urchins, of whom the writer was one. At the conclusion of the parade the car was hauled to the edge of the steep embankment on East Main street where now stands the Center ward school building. That night mischievous boys terminated its existence as a street car by pushing it over the embankment, where it remained in an upside-down position until carried away piece by piece by junk men and souvenir seekers. A portion of the rails used in the old track were afterward employed in the construction of a side track into the first icehouse erected on the east side of Center lake by William Collins & Son, along the lines of the old C. W. & M. So endeth the first chapter of street car history in Warsaw. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 6, 1932

Remember when--
Marathon contests are nothing new although the younger generation probably thinks so. Fifty-five years ago in the old Warsaw Opera House, Puttz, a full-blooded Indian, and Marion Grimm, a bricklayer from both Warsaw and North Manchester, staged a walking marathon endurance contest and race. They walked continuously for six days and nights. Crowds of people paid ten cents admission to watch them. -(A. B. Sloane)

On Feb. 14, 1887, three members of the Dunham family including the father, mother and 22-month old baby were found murdered at their country home near North Webster. The father's body was found thrown in the hog pen and partly devoured by hogs. The mother was in the home beaten almost to death, the body in a kneeling position. The baby lay dead nearby on the floor. Dunham, a farmer, had sold some hogs and his money was missing. It was later found hidden in an attic in North Webster where it was shown Joe Plew had access. Plew was sentenced to prison, served 32 years and returned about 10 years ago to this vicinity. He found his old acquaintances loath to make friends with him so returned to the prison and was re-admitted, where he still is. -(T. A.)

The Plymouth accommodation train, for so many years operated by the Pennsylvania road. James Haines was the courteous conductor; Uncle Davy Johns the efficient engineer; Mike McGonagle the polite and obliging brakeman and the fireman, whose name cannot be recalled, was a big, fat, jolly fellow who was said to have several times refused promotion rather than give up his job on "Haines' Dinkey," as the train was called by many residents of the towns along the line. This train was at one time considered almost indispensable by patrons of the road. The Warsaw passenger station was at that time located at Union street, in the west end of town, and the accommodation train would always, in either direction, make stops at High street (called Baker's crossing at that time, due to the fact that Joseph S. Baker resided on one of the corners), the C. W. & M. junction and in East Warsaw at Scott street. It was an accommodation train in the fullest meaning of the term and was so long in existence that its crew possessed a personal acquaintance with many inhabitants of the towns on the line and knew by name all men, women and children residing along the right-of-way. When the train was discontinued, several years ago, the people of the communities so long served by it, could not help but feel that they had been forced to part with an old and highly esteemed friend. -(E. C. Aborn)

Neither are the scantily clad girl shows, revenues, scandals, follies and burlesques a new idea. Fifty-five years ago the old Opera House showed the most risque show up to that date ever to appear here. Thirty pretty girls skipped about the stage and bashfully and coyly exhibited their pretty limbs up to the appealing height of their knees. The show was for men only and boys under 16 were barred. The usual bald-headed tired and jaded business me occupied the front rows. Wow! -(A. B. Sloane)

Otto Philpott used to teach dancing lessons and likewise headed a local mandolin and guitar club.

Drum Major Henry Mershon used to give a characteristic drum solo illustrative of the Battle of Shiloh. It started with the assembly call preceding the battle and ended with the funeral march, with the drum muffled after the battle. The boom of the cannon and rattle of rifles was depicted vividly in sound.

Zeb Hughes did the announcing "ballyhoo" for all occasions and made such work his profession.

Frank Hoffman, local junk buyer, was quite a dandy when a young man here. One evening he called on Miss Nelly Templeton after she had just returned from a trip to the old country, England, France and Ireland. Hoffman asked her" "Did you see the Blarney Stone." Yes," she replied, "I was there a whole day." :Gee, I would love to see it." said Hoffman, "would you mind if I kissed it by proxy by kissing your lips which have kissed the Blarney Stone?" "Sure," agreed the pretty miss, "but I forgot to tell you that I did not kiss it. "I sat on it."

Timothy Leighton used to ring the Catholic church bell here with such accuracy that everyone in town set their clocks on the hour at the first stroke of the bell.

John Ebersole had a dream vision that he could drive a pipe in the ground and put a pump on it and get water. He got a couple of men and they drove about 200 feet of pipe into the earth without getting water. While resting they returned behind Ebersole's smokehouse and found the pipe had come up out of the ground about 15 feet away, evidently striking a stone and curling upward. Previously all wells were "open wells," and dug. Ebersole's idea later proved right.

Now, if you want any more "Back Whens," send the to The Times from any point in the county. Claypool and North Webster readers have previously become interested. But let us hear from other points, as well as those towns mentioned.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 8, 1932

Remember when--
Picnics were held across Center lake on sandy beach where not stands Jimmy Durham's cottage. Aust Funk had a large tent there and dances were held under the tent. Dancers gassed themselves with peppermint oil to keep away mosquito. This was way back in the early '70's.

On July 4, 1883, Silas Myers built a big barge on Center Lake and a dance was given on the barge that evening, with the Warsaw band furnishing the music. Bill Dormire was floor manager. Torches furnished lights. Later the barge was at the foot of Buffalo street and used for a boat house. Still later it was moved to the water works for a coal shed.

The "zoological garden" at Lakeside Park. Bears, bears, huge turtles and a snake in a box. Mose Snellenberger was the animal trainer and spent considerable time in an effort to teach the cinnamon bears to dance. And Del Middleton was captain of the steam boat, which plied the waters of Pike lake between the park and Mineral Beach club house. -(E. C. Aborn)

One cold night Jerry McCarthy, Dennis May and Joe Hale had a little part. Starting home Joe carried a large bundle of sausages. At the Pennsylvania tracks Dennis fell down and the others went on. Shortly along came Anna Schollard who, startled, asked: "Why Dennis, is that you?" "No, indeed. It's Joe Hale," replied Dennis. By the time Hale got home the paper had come off his bundle of sausages and his son, Jeff, met him at the door where he had stumbled, and saw him tangled up with the sausages, the young man let out a yell: "Mother! Mother! Father's been cut to pieces by a train."

We used to give shows in the barn loft and charge five pins admittance. The show was "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and the cast included: Willard Frush as Simon Legree; Sam Hutton as Uncle Tom; Chester Stewart as little Eva; Roy Bartol was George Shelby; Skinny McConnell was Lawyer Marks; Ernie Osborn was Topsy, and what a Topsy he was; Stub Meek was Eva's father; Walter Mulford played George Harris; George Duffy was a slave buyer; Harry Stewart was Aunt Cloe; John Mathews, slave buyer; Skinny Mayfield, Eliza. Any kind of dogs substituted as blood hounds. The usual parade preceded the show. Uncle Tom quit the show after the first performance because "Simon Legree" Frush was too realistic in the horse whipping scene. -(Sam Hutton)

Bygone days in and near Claypool are recalled in a contribution to "Away Back When" from David Henry Clymer, native of Clay township and formerly of Warsaw and Claypool, now residing at Bellflower, Cal. Here is his offering:
"I remember distinctly the building of the Nickle Plate Railway, when Dr. J. S Hazel conducted a drug store. Later the coming of Bracket Brothers and the blowing up of the saw mill when John Haddix was killed. Who can forget the memorable days of Reuben Gresso who by his frugality amassed a great fortune. Andrew J. Scott conducted a general store to whom I sold wild berries for six cents per quart. Many has been the time when I boarded the long east bound freight trains, when a boy, and leisurely got of when they struck the grade a few miles east of town, but alas, I once rode too far and what a sad plight I presented when I reached home, having been thrown all over the right of way in the Metzger woods, my mother did not recognize me, but I never forgot to alight at the favorable moment on the grade, following this memorable episode.
"Claypool has created a number of renowned men, and it must be said of John L. Dilsaver, who was a mischievous youth about Claypool, that he is perhaps one of the most outstanding characters who has made good under the most discouraging circumstances. "Jack,"" as he was known to all, was perhaps one of the most characteristic baseball players ever to star for Claypool. He later learned the printer's trade from the writer away back in 1883. For seven years following he worked in one of the largest printing offices in Chicago, Gunthrip-Warren Printing company, later taking a civil service examination which he passed successfully and was for twenty years proof reader and printer at the government printing office in Washington, D. C., and is now at the head of one of the successful newspapers of the district. No one in Washington is in closer touch with the high-ups and knows the city better than Jack Dilsaver who in his youth tried to play a prank on J. P. Thoma (Thomas?) by whistling in his door keyhole on a frosty morning and was held fast by the frost and releasing himself at the sacrifice of much hid from his lips.
"Claypool, it must be remembered was the second town in Indiana to possess electric lights and this light was furnished by M. E. Loehr, who conducted a heading mill.
"Mahlon Arnold, a half century ago made wooden pumps and conducted a cider mill. Later this industry was transferred to James Decker, east of town.
"Pierce Cauffman, now in California, was born and reared a few miles south of Claypool, began as a section employee, and later was promoted to road supervisor of the Michigan division of the Big Four railroad, a position which he held for twenty years, then went to California, buying an orange ranch. He has an old-fashioned Indiana barn and two good horses with which he alone cares for his twenty-four acre ranch.
"Fred Pisal, formerly employed on the Caldwell farm, west of Claypool, is now a resident of San Demis, Calif.
"Who can remember when Joshua Dentzer came to Claypool barefooted in early spring, when the snow was still lurking in the fence corners, and along about this time when the writer sought to scare John Price with a paper snake and got the worst of the deal.
"George Shultz conducted the Red Front hotel and ran in opposition to Eli Seithman, who was landlord of the Claypool hotel in the old Whittenberger building. George lies peacefully in the cemetery in Pomona, California, and Maggie, his wife, resides near Santa Cruz, California.
"Who can remember Pat Cluen, the tailor, Jimmie Leiter, the lover of stories, Dick Richards, P. J. Dilsaver of Paulding county, near Payne, Ohio. All were familiar "landmarks" fifty years ago on the streets of Claypool."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 9, 1932

Remember when--
Perry Smith
was county sheriff and engaged in an argument with some 30 Democratic delegates aboard a departing Winona interurban car headed for Indianapolis. Smith was then Republican county chairman and political invectives continued until the car departed, leaving Smith standing shaking his fists at his political opponent.

Small boys are threatened by their parents with: "Garner will get you." William Garner was chief of police. Later the threats were changed as C. B. Moon, W. A Winebrenner, C. W. Douglass and Judd Pittenger became chiefs. Now it's "Watch out or Lucas will land you."

Mr. Moses bought wild herbs and furs at his store east of the city hall.

Mose Snellenberger was put on the night police force by Mayor Cisney. His friends in celebration invited him to imbibe. He had so many friends that to imbibe with everyone made him considerably under the influence of liquor. Then his so-called friends carried him to the front of the fire station, placed him to the front of the fire station, placed hi in a chair exposed to public view and after running candle tallow through his long flowing whiskers and removing his trousers, summoned the mayor and councilmen and citizens. Snellenberger resigned after serving one night on the force, and that night he was unconscious.

Old "Ned," the big riding horse given by Warsaw citizens to Major Harter when he left here for the Spanish war in 1898, returned with the soldiers from Cuba after the war. Shortly after his return here one night he broke out of the Harter barn on East Fort Wayne street and disappeared. Search a few days later led to his discovery back in the pasture lot southwest of Bourbon. Old "Ned" had remembered his way home from Warsaw and probably trotted all the way to his colthood home, a distance of about 24 miles from Warsaw. He had been away more than a year. The Cuban diet of manila hemp grass probably brought pleasant memories of the Bourbon pastures.

A. E. Goshert ran a grocery here 30 years ago and sold big fat blue gills.

Ed B. Smith, shot store proprietor here, gave a pair of shoes to every ball player who knocked a home-run over his sign at Riverside ball park.

An unidentifed man was found dead in the place now known as the city dump yard.

Dr. T. A. Goodwin, whose dental offices were located over the DePoy store, had a collection of curios; in fact an interesting small museum. The old pistols and guns were a major part of the exhibits.

Diamonds of great value were displayed at Josh Curtis' jewelry store, now the Fred Ward store.

Mart Berkey operated a grocery store at 110 E. Market street.

Charles O. Gerard ran a restaurant at 105 W. Center street and always kept a steaming pot full of hot dogs ready for instant service.

There were eleven saloons in Warsaw and they did an average business of more than $500 per week, or a total of about $5,500 per week. Yet some people argue yet that the return of saloons would benefit Warsaw. Others say there is more drinking now than before, but bootleggers tell us there is not one-fiftieth of that sum spent here for liquor.

Wilbur Maish made the first batch of Little Crows "Worth crowing about or having kaws for crowing" at his mill just west of the courthouse. A mysterious night fire destroyed the mill with considerable loss to the owner.

Sam Petosky had a big junk yard just west of the court house and about 1914 when war in Europe sent the metal pieces upward sold his junk accumulation at about $20,000 profit.

Matt Rittenhouse operated a harness shop here and Jim Woods assisted him. Then harness making was as flourishing a business as garages became later. Places which sold buggies often had a life-size wooden statue of a prancing, stepping horse, fully harnessed and hitched to a brand new buggy. This was a favorite window display.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 10, 1932

Remember when--
Local fishermen sold former Sheriff Jacob Huffer a lot of "dehorned" catfish, which proved to be skinned carp caught by Sam Hutton and sold under the catfish title.

Boys digging in Lakeside park uncovered an Indian grave and found a tomahawk and flint arrow-heads left beside the warrior for use in the happy hunting grounds of the hereafter.

Ernest Osborn and Roy Bartol made side-wheel foot-power boats and operated them on Center lake. They were propelled like bicycles.

The merry-go-round, figure-eight and roller-skating rink were great attractions near the Winona lake entrance and attracted thousands by these amusements.

A fire starting from burning piles of raked leaves at Winona Lake destroyed from eight to ten cottages starting just east of the Winona hotel. Dynamite was used to destroy houses in the path of the flames in order to restrict the flames leaping to other rows of cottages. The fire was beyond control of the Winona and Warsaw firemen for several hours.

Robert Hitzler ran a fine furniture store here and himself manufactured many pieces of finest hand-carved furniture making pieces of finest hand-carved furniture making counters and decorated show-cases for stores and banks. He was a most skillful cabinet worker.

Oram & Son was known throughout northern Indiana as makers of the sturdiest wagons and made many for the famous Studebaker wagon factory at South Bend.

The days before Warsaw had the free mail delivery system. Everybody had to go to the postoffice to get mail, and as no mailing boxes were on the street corners, a trip to the postoffice was imperative if one desired to post a letter or package. The lobby of the office was most of the time during business hours more or less crowded with patrons. The clerks at stamp and delivery windows were kept almost constantly busy. And when school was out--well, the clerks certainly got a workout. How large a per cent of Warsaw's citizenry of today can recollect when the postoffice occupied the room on East Center street where the Coffin Music Shop is now located. Capt. John N. Runyan was postmaster. The general delivery window was the busiest place in town--every hour was a rush hour. It was presided over by the inevitable, inimitable, indispensable Eugene (Pete) Williams, everybody's friend and friend of everybody. Always gentlemanly, courteous, obliging and agreeable, Pete transformed a journey to the postoffice from a business trip into one of pleasure. There never was, never will be, but one Pete Williams. He has been in Oregon for a number of years and has for some time been reported to be in failing health. Pete knew by name every man, woman and child for miles around. He had but one enemy --himself. -(E. C. Aborn)

The "supreme court" convened nightly during the winter months in the back room of Perry Brown's meat market, which was located in a dilapidated one-story frame building on Buffalo street where now stands Burden's jewelry store. The room was small, lighted by a single coal oil lamp which rested in an improvised bracket on the wall, while the heating plant consisted of a big old-fashioned box stove fed by four-foot wood. Occupying a prominent position directly in front of the stove was a cheese box filled with sawdust which served as the official cuspidor.
The personnel of the "court" consisted of Perry Brown, chief Justice; associate justices were Edward and Philip Nichols, Nathan McConnell, John Henry Walters, George Garrison, Ebenezer Milice and Harrison Cosgrove. Here all matters pertaining to the public-local, state and national-were discussed pro and con (chiefly con) by the assembled oracles, and the legality and constitutionality of said measures duly passed upon and decisions handed down accordingly. Opinions rendered by some of the "justices" were occasionally considerably more amusing than Blackstonian, but were given with an earnestness often impressive. Many of the speeches would be punctuated at frequent intervals with a snappy sizzle as some member of the august body, in an effort to expectorate an accumulation of liquefied plug tobacco into the official cuspidor, would miss his aim, and by overshooting the mark said expectoration would come in contact with the aforesaid stove made red-hot by the flaming four-foot beech and sugar of which there was an abundance in those days. In addition to his duties as "chief justice," Perry Brown was for a number of years chief of Warsaw's volunteer fire department--and a mighty efficient officer he was too. -(E. C. Aborn)

Joseph Carty conducted a foundry on Main street, opposite the court house, where the Chinworth building now stands. A large bell, mounted on a post at the front entrance was rang to announce the time for beginning and ceasing work. The bell-ringing method of notifying employees was used also by William Conrad at his wagon and carriage shop when the same occupied the site where now stands the Conrad residence at the corner of Center and High streets. -(E. C. Aborn)

John Phillips, George Groves and Ed Sterling were the mainstays in the transportation system around Warsaw.

J. H. Lones was the station agent at the Pennsy station; Dave Nelson was the ticket clerk; W. S. Brooke was the night telegrapher; Elmer Albert the day operator; Bill Stewart the congenial baggage smasher. -(S. S.)

The old Fourth Regiment band used to hold rehearsals above the Hammond blacksmith shop and Logan Williams and Vergne Brooke held the baritone parts down. Charley Downs, Ed Hessel, Bill Stewart on basses; Bill (three-finger) Peterson, Pearl Leslie, Howard Townsend and Old Man Hammond on the slip horns and "Pappy" Brooke on the valve trombone. Oh, yes, there was Herby Hartman, Jim Manning, Pewe Stoner on the um-ta-ta horns, and Lawrence Swihart, Kid Hardman, George Nicely managed the valves on the cornets and Clyde Fields, Elmer Funk, Harry Edgington, Charles Sapp and Lewie Ward kept the reed section up to 100 per cent and last, but not least, Dinky White, Tinney Hillegas and Sherm Krider made the noise on the drums. Those were the happy days; no jazz, but hard work on the high-brow stuff. -(W. S.)

The Grand Army of the Republic held their state encampment in the old fair grounds east of Scott street and just west of the Brethren church in east Warsaw. Remember the sham battle and how it thrilled the old vets and brought back the days when it was the real article. This same kind of a scrap was pulled off in old Lakeside Park later on at one of the encampments. -(W. S.)

Many of you old-timers used to join the hoe, shovel and broom brigade every Saturday morning and dig the trash out from behind the cobblestones in front of your place of business on Buffalo, Market and Center streets.

Back to YesterYear in Print