NOTE: This column started in the Warsaw Daily Times on January 13, 1932 and appeared daily through the end of April, 1932. You will find lots of names and incidents mentioned. All has been included along with credits. The date of the newspaper will be at the at the TOP of the column. Several columns will be included in each segment. Names have been bolded for emphasis. There is no indication who compiled the column for the paper. Marge

Part 4

Our Town and Others "Way Back When"

Warsaw Daily Times February 11, 1932

Remember when:
George Franklin
was the demon motorcycle speedster in this vicinity.

There were no mail carriers here and everyone waited his turn at one window at the postoffice.

The late Judge Haymond was the champion fisherman of this vicinity, holding the local records for big bass and pike caught at Center lake.

Dentists pulled teeth without the use of pain killers.

A big windstorm took off the roof of the facory now known as the old Hugro factory, and carried it across the Big Four tracks.

Bradford G. Cosgrove, contractor, erected the three ward school buildings - the Central (then located at Market and Detroit streets); East school, Scott and Fort Wayne streets; West school at west end of Main street. That was in the year 1872. Two of those structures --Center and East--have since been torn down and new buildings erected, the location of the
Central school being changed form its original site to the present location on East Main at the north terminas of High Strre. During th eperiod of construction of these buildings, school for most of the pupils was held in rooms in the third story of what is now known as the Widaman block on Buffalo street, while the overflow received instruction at Mrs. Cowan's Seminary on South Detroit street, the grounds surrounding which comprised most of the space between South and Jefferson streets. The building of the C. W. & M. railroad cut quite a good sized tract from the east side of the Cowan estate. -(E. C. Aborn)

Everyone had at least one shotgun and was a hunter. There were several gun stores then in Warsaw, one operated by Joe Campfield, the other by Henry Mansfield. An expert's trade was that of the gunsmith.

When the late Charley Irvin, local jeweler, had two bushel baskets full of watches left for him to repair and never claimed by their owners.

J. V. Godman opened the first ice cream factory here on the banks of Center lake.

A man by the name of Charles Butler, from Columbus, Ohio, shot and killed his wife at Pierceton. This happened in 1883. The murder occured at the home of Ira J. Ryerson, a relative of the woman. The couple had become estranged and Mrs. Butler had come to the home of relatives to avoid her husband, who had threatened her life. Butler was brought to the country jail in Warsaw. His father was a wealthy and prominent physician in Columbus, and Leigh H. Hammond, Warsaw attorney was engaged to defend the son. Fearing that a fair trial could not be had in Kosciusko county, a change of fenue was sought and the request granted, the case being sent to Whitley county. Butler was thereupon transferred to the jail at Columbia City. While there he, with a couple of other prisoners, broke jail and made his escape. However, a short time thereafter Butler was apprehended at the home of his father at Columbus, Ohio, and returned to Columbia City. He was tried and convicted. The verdict was murder in the first degree, for which the penalty was death. A motion for a new trial was overruled by the court and Butler was sentenced to be hanged. On Friday, October 18, 1884 he paid the penalty on the gallows in the jail yard at Columbia City. -(E. C. Aborn)

Nat J. Kline sends in the following North Webster "back whens":
The Evangelical church stood on the east side of town and the Rev. Bockman, great grandfather of Howard and Carl Bockman was the pastor and the services were conducted in German.
Dr. Jonas Jarrett was the family doctor for every one in and around North Webster, and when that tooth of yours hurt so bad and the doctor's son, James, would lay you on the floor and sit on you and with a pair of his father's forceps yank the tooth out. Oh boy!
The little frame school house stood just north of where Nate Kline now lives, where we first went to school and our teacher was Miss Gerard, and she received 75 cents a day.
Henry Kline, father of John Kline, Sr. was the owner and proprietor of the only general store in the town and in which business he was very successful and became the wealthiest citizen in Tippecanoe township.
Uncle George Middleton was the auctioneer for all the public sales in and about North Webster.
Eli Marks shod the farmers' oxen and how he twisted their tails to make them move and farmers plowed their fields with ox teams, when the Humble girls hitched their brother, Fremont's oxen to the sled and took a sleigh ride, having a runaway.

Jacob Stemler measured our feet and made our boots from cow hides and fastened the soles on with wooden pegs, and we wore them when we went to see our sweeties.

In the fall of '63 the farmers from all over the township brought produce from their farms and loaded three wagon loads and started to Indianapolis with them for the boys in camp. What a day that was. Nat W. Kline was there on crutches having been wounded at the battle of Shiloh.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 12, 1932

Remember when-
A. G. Woods
, mayor of Warsaw, built a fine cottage on the island in the center of Webster lake and caught some mighty big fish there every summer.

An orchard occupied the rear of the ground where now stands the Judge L. W. Royse home.

The Christian Science church was known as the "Old Shot Tower," where original settlers obtained bullets for their rifles. Molton lead was dropped from the top of the tower and in falling took for of round bullets and cooled sufficiently that when they alighted in cold water they retained their round shape. (That must be a way, way "back when").

Claypool people attended Sunday school in the forenoon at the U. B. church and in the afternoon at the M. E. Sunday school held in the old town hall. When the First M. E. church was built Clarence Hill won renown (fame) by being the first to scale the steeple.

W. W. Worley was agent at the old C. M & W Railway at Claypool. A barrel of express came open when broken and the contents proved to be a pickled human corpse enroute to a medical school.

Dr. Ketchum taught school at Claypool and the pupils locked the school door on him and held a dance because the "teacher" failed to "treat" them for Christmas.

Who can forget the excitement when the Claypool saloon burned.

William Vampner owned the wagon shop located where the Claypool Lumber Company now stands.

Forty-nine years ago in 1863, the following report of the Fairview U. B. Sunday school, located three miles south of Burket on Yellow Creek lake, read as follows: "June 3, 1883--School was called to order by Supt. Brother White, reading chapter 15 Corinthians was followed by singing on page 30, "Gates of Praise," and prayer by Brother J. Regenos. Teachers then took charge and read the lesson from the quarterly. The penny collection and attendance was: First male class, 3 cents, 75 scholars, 3 chapters read during week; second male class, one cent, 6 scholars, 5 chapters read; first female class, one cent, 4 scholars, 34 chapters read; second female class, four cents, 3 scholars, 190 chapters read. Total scholars, attendance 45. Mamie J. Ulsh, Sec'y. -(Mrs. O. B. Valentine)

The construction of the "Y" or transfer track, connecting the Pennsylvania and Big Four (at that time C. W. & M.). In the year 1882 the national meeting of the Dunkard church was held at Arnold's Grove, about aa mile north of Milford Junction along the line of the C. W. & M. The Pennsylvania company had two trainloads of Dunkards from Maryland and Virginia booked for transportation through to the place of meeting without change of cars. The passenger agents of the company who arranged the trip were unaware of the fact that no transfer track existed at Warsaw until two or three days prior to the departure of the trains from their starting point in the east. Something had to be done, and at once. Accordingly Pennsylvania officials rushed to Warsaw, where they met by appoitment Norman Beckley, general manager of the C. W. & M. Arrangements were hurriedly made with the Beyer interests, owners of the land required, and two work trains with a small army of men immediately got busy. The low land over which the track was bult necessitated the construction of a grade several feet in height to bring the track to a level with the main tracks. The forces worked overtime on the job and to an observer they could have been likened to a crew of canvas hands with a circus who are supposed to be thoroughly drilled in their work through daily practice. Old ties, logs, cobblestones, all wre dumpted in to make a base for the grade, the tracklayers worked in relays and on the morning of the third day the trains arrived, were transferred to the C. W. & M., and arrived at thier destination on time. Thus did the Pennsylvania score a point by delivering its passengers through to destination without change of cars as per contract. The speed with which this piece of railroad was being built attracted considerable attention among the townspeople and a great crowd gathered to see the frist trains transferred. Railroad me of that day pronounced it to have been a record breaking job of track building. -(E. C. Aborn)

From Burket W. E. Davis sends in the following "back whens":
Do you remember when Pat Cluen operated a tailor shop in Burket.

When Burket had three saloons in full force and with all the customary "trimmings".

When Ed Ramsey was Nickle Plate section foreman, and Tobe Stoler and Mack Ramsey were members of the crew.

When the only drug store in town sold intoxicants by the drink or gallon.

When Frank Klepper conducted a hospital for worn shoes and boots.

When the Mohler hardware store did a big business in this community.

When Peter Alexander, O. S. Gaskill and Sam Banks were engaged in milling.

When David Petry built the first grain elevator in this section.

When George Gaskill was without timber for a real war story.

When a sycamore gum 15 feet in height was filled with combustible and fired, commemorating Grover Cleveland's second election to the presidency of the United States.

When Ed Gaskill was head clerk in the David Petry store, located in the building now occupied by the Bank of Seward.

When Mrs. Sam Banks disclosed an imported collection of "red bats" when turned out to be brickbats.

When Allen Hagenbook managed a 4th of July celebration and advertised as a leading scene, "Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine"

When the late O. S. Gaskill was postmaster and Mike Keller was deputy.

When but one teacher was employed in the Burket school.

When Al Arnold was known as the champion lake fisherman.

When Ed Beyer drove the "big greys" for the firm of Beyer Brothers Produce Company, and George Ireland packed Burket eggs in barrels.

When it required two hours to cover the distance from Burket to Warsaw with a horse and buggy.

When travelers over this same route reported no bottom to the little pond east of the "back-bone" hills.

When the Nickle Plate railroad operated but two passenger trains daily.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 13, 1932

Remember when-
William L. Standis
h with the aid of Dave Breading operated the Bung Factory in Warsaw on Prairie street

Peter Herdman had the most beautiful lawn you ever saw, overspread with pine trees trimmed to mathematical perfection, at his home on the corner of Prairie and Columbia streets.

A big bowl of Tom and Jerry sat on the bar back at Frank Breading's and "most everyone imbibed."

Tomatoes were used as ornaments through the home, especially on dressers.

Everyone was industrious and willing to work and every man worked out his poll tax. The Warsaw street commissioners and the township trustees always had a gang of workmen paying their poll tax by actually working on the streets and roads.

When the first street was paved in Warsaw some 30 years ago, and hundreds of people watched the work. Paving contractors brought in skilled workmen. One big collored brick layer could pick up and lay the heavy paving bricks with unusual dexterity and rapidity. He had monstrous hands. It kept a dozen men busy carrying bricks to him to keep him supplied without interruption. A great stunt then was to bet someone they could not pick up one paving brick by the end, and let it hang extended, walk around the block without releasing it. Few could accomplish the easy appearing stunt. The hand became too tired.

It was quite customary for boys and men to bum rides on freight trains and you could see men and boys stealing rides, hanging between cars, underneath on the rods and on the step behind the tender or coal car. Sometimes on the cow-catcher would be seen a more daring bum, occupying a place in full view of the train crew who were unable to reach him and cared not to make a special stop to eject him. At the depot the bums would either hid or get off thn jump back on as the train started. Later railways began arresting bums. They usually got a ten-day jail sentence. Nowadays towermen and railway depot employees telephone ahead and policemen meet the rid thieves. In cold weather it was not infrequent to see bums removed from trains sometimes frozen or half dead from exposure.

The curfew at Winona Lake rang every night promptly at ten o'clock and every light in the park had to be promptly extinguished or policemen would call upon the cottagers and enforce the lights out regulation. Persons after that hour were not permitted to enter or leave the park. Smoking was not permitted on the park grounds, dogs were ejected and sale of Sunday papers were banned. Mr. De Vol was the strict enforcer of these rules. Lon Howe later took over these duties.

An epidemic of typhoid fever was brought here during the convention of the Dunkards at Winona Lake and some 13 or more deaths were the result. Use of contaminated water taken from the Winona canal for drinking purposes at an eating tent on the banks of the canal was thought to have been responsible or to have helped spread the contamination which probably was brought here by some unknowing typhoid/carrier employed in preparing food.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 16, 1932

Remember when-
The eastbound passenger train on the P. F. W. & C. R. W. pulled into Warsaw with the car loaded and men passengers riding on roofs of cars. This was the summer of 1876. Wonder how the old road would like this kind of business now.

They used to dance with their ladies on the Fourth of July at Spring Fountain park and get good hard-boiled softdrinks at Bob Hickman's drinking fountain, Center street and the Thorn Bros. drinking fountain on Buffalo street. -(The Hoosier Boy)

We celebrated the Fourth of July in the woods north of Claypool. Mrs. B. D. Bracket, read the Declaration of Independence and Charley Sarber played "Sweet Land of Liberty" and the "Star Spangled Banner," on his cornet. Those present that had 5 cents bought a bottle of pop or a package of popcorn. I think there were four bottles of pop and one package of popcorn sold. I got a chew of tobacco from a boy friend and we all walked home and thought we had done great honor to our country. And sometiems I think we did as this was a great event for those days. This was in '84 or '85. -(The Hoosier Boy)

The foregoing "back whens" come to The Times from an unknown contributor mailing his epistle at Toledo. We can't guess who it might be; can you? He signed himself, "The Hooseir Boy", and we'll bet he wishes he was back in the old home town of Warsaw or Claypool.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 17, 1932

Remember when-
Telephone central girls used to give you a ring. And what you got was the cheery message, "Testing the line; please ring." Everybody was on a party line and what juicy informatin one could get by a little eavesdropping on their neighbors. But people just don't do it now ---ahem-m-m!

I was born in the old jail on the courthouse square in 1865. We had no town clock then are not much better off now. -(Mrs. Annie Baird)

The farmers country wagons were surrounded by grocery keepers bidding on produce brought to town by the farmers. Today a farmer can scarcely sell any produce to a store even if he carries it in to the store keeper. The store keeper sends off for his supply and the farmer retaliates by likewise trading away from home so both eventually lost. -(F. S. Hover)

John R. Nye operated a grocery store on S. Buffalo street where later was located the Dutch grocery. He kept a cigar box filled with tobacco clippings on the showcase with pipe and matches handy for trimmings. People helped themselves freely. It was quite an attraction for the old men and women who smoked in those days. Yes, women smoked in those days, but only the old ones. -(F. S. Hover)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 18, 1932

Remember when-
The late Chauncey Tucker drove to Warsaw and sold a load of cattle. Returning to his home near Burket or Mentone he lost a pocketbook contraining $1,800. Immediately retracing his route he found the pocketbook and money. It had fallen in a deep rut in the road.

A night clerk at the Hotel Hays reported to police here that he had been held up and robbed by a holdup man who beat him up. He exhibited a black and blue eye and bruises about his face. Under pressure of cross-questioning he finally admitted that he had faked the robbery to cover his own theft of money and that he had beaten his face with his own fists.

When Hud Brady used to butcher hogs in the rar of his home at the corner of Park Avenue and East Main street. Boys of the neighborhood gather and begged him for the bladders. These were blown up and tied with a string, providing excellent substitutes for footballs. Then came the red-hot cracklins, and the soap making from the grease rendered from stray bits of fat mixed with lye made from ashes and water. Neighbors, but not the boys, objected to the butchering within the city limits.

Ambrose Bierce, one time famous editor of the San Francisco Chronicle and widely known writer, was a Warsaw resident. Although in his teens he enlisted from here and served throughout the Civil war, where he obtained much of his experience and which furnished data for his later marvelous descriptive writings. About 1915 this adventurer who had fought in the Indian wars and frequented every scene of revolution and conflict, disappeared into Mexico from California. Rumor says he was executed by Mexican revolutionists, but no one knows.

"Nothing much ever happens in this old town," you often hear, but older residents can probably name half a dozen of their well-known acquaintances of this vicinity who have mysteriously disappeared and their fate still a mystery.

A news-reel shown at the Strand one night recently pictured the undercovering of Pompei buried in the year 76 A. D. under tons of lava from Mt. Vesuvius. The picture showed unearthing of a bath tub. The tub was exactly the style and size of the present day tubs found in most of our homes. What the material was, we of course do not know; but a bath is a luxury in any place of history, excepting the school boy period.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 19, 1932

Remember when-
A good portion of our supply of flour, feed and woolen goods came from the Monoquet mills, operated by water power, and conducted for many years by Elias Sholl & Sons. High up on the north bank of th ehistoric Tippecaone how sleeps the remnant of the once thriving and important pioneer village of Monoquet. The village derived its name from its founder, Chief Monoquet, of the Pottowatomie tribe of Indians, and its history dates back to the 1830's prior to the establishment of Kosciusko county and when the territory now comprising Kosciusko was a part of Elkhart county. Monoquet was one of the most important villages in this region in early days. It possessed good water power for the operation of its grist mill and a woolen mill. An extensive copper shop was another important industry. A couple of well-stocked general stores were in operation and did a thriving business. In each store was also located what might now be termed a lunch counter, and liquor was openly sold in any quantity to suit the purchaser.
Here also was published the first newspaper in the county, the Kosciusko Republican, by Charles L. Murray. Its first number was issued in 1845 and in politics it was Whig of the strictest type. An important postoffice was also maintained. At that time the inhabitants were striving to make the town of Monoquet a manufacturing center and an ey was kept open for the purpose of securing the county seat, for which Leesburg and Oswego were also contenders. However, the town of Warsaw had been platted, and its location in the geographical center of the county, coupled with the fact that a rumor had been circulated that a railroad might some day be built along the route through Warsaw to Chicago, served to defeat their ambitions. Leesburg up to that time had been the temporary county seat, but the commisioners appointed to locate the permanent site, in March 1837, ordered the records and headquarters removed to Warsaw. As a consequence Monoquet's boom collapsed and the once flourishing village has gradually become more of a memory than a reality.
The town's limits comprised a carefully-platted site--street, alleys and blocks surveyed and laid out according to tall regulations characteristics of progressive towns of that day. Practically all has now been thrown back into acreage, with the exception of a portion of th eold streets, which serve as lanes to the homes of the few residents who dwell there. The mills and shops have long since gone, houses torn down or moved away, the church and school abandoned. Where once existed marts of trade and comfortable homes now converted into plowed fields and pastures wherein gambols the festive lambkin and the placid bovine serenely munches its cud. Prior to the building of the railroad from Warsaw to Goshen, the stage coach carried both mail and passengers made daily trips between those towns. One Elisha Pegg was driver of the coach, which resembled those used in the Western states in more recent years and was drawn by a team of four horses, as the roads were exceedingly rough and terribly muddy much of the time. And Monoquet was one of the most important points on the rout. The former mud road is now a concrete highway--state road No. 15--and the bridge over the Tippecanoe is a modern structure in every detail. Notwithstanding the metamorphosis of Monoquet's town site a few attractive homes are located there, notably among which may be mentioned the estate of Mrs. Nellie McConnell and the Sholl home. -(E. C. Aborn)

Carl Hathaway was a freckle-faced school boy in Warsaw. He began his career as a member of Jap Yotter's juvenile band and was assigned to th edifficult task of extracting harmony from a clarinet. Having acquired the necessary degree of proficiency, he was offered a position in the Fourth Regiment band, of which organization Prof. H. G. Fields was the able bandmaster. In 1898, when war was declared with Spain, the local unit of the state militia was enlisted for service in Cuba. Most of the members of the regimental band enlisted also, but as musicians. Carl Hathaway was among the number. At the close of the war, and upon return of the boys to the states, Carl took a position as clarinet player in an orchestra at Danville, Ill. Here he remained for nearly a year. But the army life had served to implant a desired for adventure in the bosom of some of the boys. Particularly so in the case of Carl Hathaway, Pearl Leslie, Frank White and Lawrence Swihart, all former members of the regimental band. They accordingly secured employment as musicians with circus organizations. Hathaway secured a position as clarinet player in the Barnum & Bailey band; Leslie and White signed up with a circus going abroad and made a tour of the principal countries of Europe; Swihart took a position as cornetist with another aggregation, but circus life failed to appeal to him so he severed his connection with the "big top" after a short time and returned home. After their European tour Leslie and White returned and entered other walks of life. Carl Hathaway, however, stuck to Barnum & Bailey, was gradually advanced until he was given numerous official positioins in the organization, including secretary-treasurer and assistant manager. A few seasons ago, when the Barnum & Bailey shows merged with the Ringling Brothers aggregation, forming the world's most collossal amusement enterprise, Carl Hathaway was made general manager of the consolidated organization. His official residence for a number of years was at Bridgeport, Conn., but since the merger he has been located at Sarasota, Fla. Mr. Hathaway's mother, Mrs. Margaret Hathaway, and his sister, Miss Venus M., still reside in the family homestead at 428 West center street, this city, and every time the circus exhibits within a hundred miles of Warsaaw, Carl never fails to take advantage of the opportunity to pay a flying visit to the home folks and the old home town. He is on record as having declared that when he retires from circus life he intends to return to Warsaw to make his permanent home. This paragraph would indeed be incomplete if it failed to state that Lawrence Swihart, referered to above, has become a cornetist of considrable note and is at the present time one of the heads of the music department of Chicago University. -(E. C. Aborn)

The erecting of the Pennsylvania railroad passenger station in 1890. The site was formerly occupied by two residence properties, the one at the Lake street side of the tract having been the home of Philip Winters, while at the Washington street side was located the residence of Joseph McConnell. The alley was vacated by the city in order to permit the erection of the structure in the center of the tract. The first train to stop at the new station was the old Plymouth accomodation on the return trip from Fort Wayne, and the first passenger to alight was siad to have been Capt. T. F. Fisher.-(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 20, 1932

Remember when-
"Bob" Shaw
operated a sawmill at the corner of South Columbia and Prairie streets. Neighborhod children played on the logs and looked for slippery-elm to chew.

Harry Lathrop's vegatable wagon stopped at our door every morning laden with choice fresh vegetables.

Ira Drake was one of our local draymen. He drove two fine, big horses and when the fire whistle blew he and all the draymen raced to the fires station. The first one there received $1.00 for hauling the fire apparatus.

The old brick grain elevator along the Pennsylvania tracks on Jefferson street. This building was erected during the early '70's by the late Samuel W. Oldfather. The morning the brick masons had reported for the beginning of all their work an argument developed among them concerning some minor detail as to the mode of procedure. Among the masses were William Grimm, Eli Snyder, John Henry Walters and Thomas Goodall. The trench had been excavated to the required depth for the foundation. During the progress of the discussion Mr. A. J. Mershon came upon the scene en route to his place of business, known as the Iron-Clad Warehouse, at the Columbia street viaduct. He stopped and listened to the conversation. He ventured a suggestion. When asked for an explanation of his idea Mr. Mershon replied that he could demonstrate much better than explain. All right. He was requested to do so. A pair of overalls was provided, and armed with a trowel, Mr. Mershon descended into the trench, called for brick and mortar, and proceeded with the construction of the northeast corner of the building. To the astonishment of the workmen and numerous spectators, he erected the corner to a height of three feet or more in a remarkable short time, notwithstanding the fact that he was well along in years. The plumb-line disclosed that his work was perfect. Mr. Mershon, who was an unusually quiet and unassuming man, then calmly informed those who had requested the demonstration that in the early years of his life he had learned the brick-layer's trade and worked at the same for a considerable length of time prior to coming to Warsaw. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 22, 1932

Remember when-
Twenty-seven years ago J. W. B. (Jim) Cretcher, local landscape artist and shrubbery salesman was complaining about there being no employment. Perry Fawley replied with the assertion that "You wouldn't work anyway, Jim. I'll give you $1.50 if you will pull my new buggy around the court house square all day Saturday. It'll be a good advertisement for the buggy and you'll look natural between the shafts."
"I'll do it," replied Cretcher.
And all day long Cretcher pulled the buggy around the court house, using the street as his path. He did the job well, taking scarcely an hour for dinner. People didn't eat lunch at noon then because most everyone worked and got hungry at noon. When Cretcher and Fawley see this they'll alter and add the details but the essential facts are there. We saw the performance. -(E. W.)

Dr. Biederwolf, of Winona Lake, toured the Orient. In Japan the Oriental politeness was being shown him in the extreme, with the Japanese bowing low their heads almost on a line with their ankles as they accepted the introduction and welcomed the distinguished visitor of religious renown. The Japanese salutation equivalent to our "How do you do, etc," is "Ohio." As each man stepped forward and said: "Ohio," with the rising inflection of the question, the nonplussed Biederwolf replied: "Oh, not Ohio; I'm from Indiana."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 19, 1932

Remember when-
Mumps were diagnosed by asking the patient to devour a nice sour pickle.

Grandma used to cure our winter sour throats with a preparation all her own, a syrup made of onion juice, salt, pepper and vinegar. What a gargle.

Snake bites were not uncommon around here. Persons bitten of course always resorted to the old whiskey remedy, but others prescribed the immediate application of turpentine which often proved most effect to draw out the poison. Gossip said that a person bitten by a snake would turned spotted like the snake every year on about the same date he happened to be bitten.

Take me back to Indiana, where the meadow grass is green,
With its' sparkling lakes and rivers and its fields of golden grain.
Where the cowslip, daisies, violets, the helitropes bloom,
And the goldenrod and roses seem to reach up to the moon.
The vineyards and the orchards, where the grapes and apples grow.
Where the birds sing so sweetly and the softest breezes blow.
Where the sturdy walnuts are the blackest, the sassafras grows,
The sap drips its sweetest from the maples in the groves.
Where the squirrels romp like fairies on the shell-bark hickory trees,
And the woodlands seem the brightest with their vivid tinted leaves.
While the turtle-doves are mourning in the weeping willow trees,
Cock Robin pours forth his magic notes so bold, while the sun is slowly sinking like a tub of yellow gold.
The catbird hides her next where the huckleberries grow,
Where the pussy-willows bloom and the laughing waters flow.
Where the yellow poplar flutters; the fox-squirrels nip the buds,
While the wax leaves glisten like bubbles on a suds.
The turkey gobbler struttin' where the stately bur oaks grow,
And the rooster crows his loudest while the sunbeams kiss the dew.
Bobwhite whistles good morning at the break of day,
The meadow larks are calling in the fields of new-mown hay.
As the early dew-drops glitter like diamonds on a tray.
The humming birds are sipping honey from the lilies in the lane.
Where the black-haw tastes the sweetest with its purple reddish stain.
The dogwood blooms in springtime, where the slippery elms stand.
The gentians may be found there, for they grow on fertile land.
Where the blue jay scolds his loudest, the brown thrush sweetly sings.
The lakes and streams are swarming with all sorts of funny things.
Where the black bass are the gamest, the blue gills get so big.
The crickets are so numerous and the bait not hard to dig.
Take me back to Indiana, to the land I love so well,
The whippoor-will is calling and all nature seems there to dwell.
God was good to you, Old Indiana, and they named you mighty well.

The above is from the pen of our home-town friend, Tom Schollard, now of 1429 Pemberton Drive, Fort Wayne, Ind. Tom is evidently a little homesick for the old stomping grounds of his boyhood.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 24, 1932

Remember when-
Say, do you remember one Saturday evening about 5 o'clock, on the 20th of February, 1897, 35 years ago, when consternation and indignation reigned on the streets of Warsaw, as the alarm was sounded that Kosciusko County's $75,000 infirmary, which had been occupied for less than a year, was burning. Having no telephones, it was some time before help was summoned, and as the roads were nearly impassable from heavy snowdrifts and the ladder truck crew became exhausted before they reached the scene of the conflagration and then the lack of water prevented the saving of much of anything. All contents were consumed, with the exception of the superintendent's department on the western front, and the cell house on the east. Neighbors took some of the women home with them for the time being. The others were located in the cell-house, while the men were billeted in the old infirmary building, with a few taken by friends.
As the building was intended, and supposed to be fire-proof, the board of county commissioners composed of Aaron Miller, Aaron Heckman and John W. Hover, with Austin C. Funk, auditor, did not consider it necessary to have the property insured, and only a small negligible coverage was taken. However, when the fire started, from a gasoline tank and engine, located in the basement of the men's dining room, everything burned like tinder, even the paint on the brick walls, and the only thing for the 45 inmates to do was to get out, if they could, and watch it burn!
Wing & Mahurin, of Fort Wayne, were the architects, Miles & Frobenus, of Kalamazoo, Mich., building contractors, with Hickman & Sons, of Grand Rapids, sub-contractors of masonry, and Washington Vanator, superintendent. The sum of $30,000 was at once appropriated by the county commissioners and the work was again undertaken of tearing down the burned walls, and reconstruction upon the old building foundation of another building, with the same architects, and contractors, in charge. A separate building was also constructed apart from the main building, as a power house, to house the heating boilers, the engine for pumping water and operating the dynamo for the electric lights. The county commissioners since have deemed it wise to carry insurance. -(F)

The First National Bank was located in the room on East Market street now occupied by Jet White grocery No. 2. In fact, the bank erected the building. Samuel H. Chipman was president; William C. Graves cashier. After a successful career for a number of years, the organization surrendered its chapter as a national bank and was incorporated under the Indiana State banking laws. About the year 1880 the institution was removed to new quarters in the Boss block at the southwest corner of Buffalo and Market streets and was thereafter known as the State Bank of Warsaw. William C. Graves was chosen as president; Aschey Catlin, cashier; P. L. Runyan, assistant cashier. Upon the death of Mr. Graves a short time later, Silas W. Chipman was made president. After a time Mr. Catlin resigned as cashier and Mr. Runyan was elevated to that position. The latter served as cashier until his death when the place was filled by Abe Brubaker until again taken over by Aschey Catlin, who had returned from a protracted stay in the west. Ere long death claimed S. W. Chipman, the president and Mr. Catlin was chosen by the directors for the presidency, and Norman Haymond became cashier. A couple of years ago the State Bank of Warsaw formed a merger with the Indiana Loan and Trust Company and removed to the commodious quarters of the latter institute at the corner of Buffalo and Center streets. The consolidated bank is now know as the Indiana Bank and Trust Company. Wilbur F. Maish, Sr., is president; Logan H. Williams and L. W. Royse, vice presidents; Norman Haymond, cashier, Oliver Bodkin, assistant cashier; William Rogers, secretary. Mr. Maish, the president, was for many years connected with the State Bank of Warsaw, prior to becoming the founder of the Little Crow Milling Company. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 25, 1932

Remember when-
The Lake City Bank first came into being in 1871. It was then located in the room on Buffalo street now occupied by the Atlantic and Pacific grocery. James McMurray was the first president of the institution, John H. Lewis the first to serve in the capacity of cashier. After a few years the bank was removed to a brick building on Center street which was located on the west side of the tract where now stands the Indiana State Bank and Trust building. Hudson Beck was then president, Samuel Bitner, cashier. Some time afterward the structure formerly known as the Indianian building was purchased and the bank removed thereto. William B. Funk became president and Albion Beck cashier. Later the position of cashier was again taken over by Samuel Bitner. On the occasion of the death of Mr. Funk, David Lessig was chosen as president, who also died while occupying the position of presiding officer. Then John Grabner became the bank's president, whose retirement was followed by the election of J. W. Coleman to the position. Again death deprived the institution of its president, and John A. Sloane was chosen by the board of directors for this important office, of which he is the present incumbent. During John Grabner's term as president, Elmer B. Funk was chosen as cashier and executive officer, which position he still holds. George W. McKrill is assistant cashier of the institute. -(E. C. Aborn)

The first advent of the bicycle. A wheel about four or five feet in height with a small wheel connected at the end of the frame. It was necessary for one to be proficient both as an acrobat and balancing artist in order to successfully ride a bike of this character. In this connection it may be of interest to note that the first one of these machines to appear on the streets of Warsaw was owned by Ray Trish. He manufactured it himself at his father's wagon and carriage shop, then located on Washington street near Center. A high buggy wheel was pressed into service and the contraption represented a very creditable piece of work. Not long afterward Harry Manchester secured a machine of this character in some neighboring city and rode it into town. But to Charley Funk belongs the distinction of having purchased the first high-wheel bicycle from a local dealer. Later several of them were owned by Warsaw residents, but in addition to the difficulty of learning to ride them, a fall from one usually meant serious bruises or broken bones. Hence they were not greatly in demand. The only place they can be seen now is in circuses and vaudeville shows, where they are used by trick riders in more or less daring stunts. Later came the advent of the safety bicycle, and Charley Grabner claims the distinction of having owned and ridden the first one ever to come to Warsaw. -(E. C. Aborn)

The store keepers were accustomed to keeping their places of business open in the evenings until 8 or 9 o'clock. Some would not close as long as visitors would stick around. Runyan & Milice's corner book store, at Center and Buffalo streets, as well as Charley Grosspitch's restaurant, were favorite gathering places-recognized as social centers. Here would congregate a large percent of Warsaw's adult male population. Amidst wreaths of smoke emanating from cigars and pipes conversations were diligently carried on. The gatherings might appropriately have been called meetings of an unofficial chamber of commerce. Almost countless were the plans and schemes advanced for the growth, advancement and expansion of the city. Colossal industrial enterprises were located, important railroad projects were advocated, wholesale establishments were to thrive on every hand and Warsaw was destined to become the chief industrial and commercial center of the middle west. Were such a thing within the range of possibilities for all the advancement envisioned by the participants in those meetings to have become a reality, Warsaw would today have Chicago pretty well crowded off the map. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times February 27, 1932

Remember when-
Forty-seven years ago on April 6, two feet of snow fell in Warsaw and vicinity in a snow and windstorm which is vividly recalled by local old-timers. Clave Gilliam lost a valuable horse as result of exposure. He had driven all day long purchasing livestock throughout the country around about here despite the weather. When he arrived home later in the evening his horses were bleeding from the nostrils. One expired. Joe Campfield recalls the April 6 two-foot snowstorm because that day he went to the country and purchased chickens he used in packing a lunch he took with him as he started for California. -(Tom Archer)

An odd thing occurred in the stable of Col. C. W. Chapman --the alley-arched brick structure connecting with the stable of S. W. Oldfather. In the Chapman barn a very narrow stairway led up to the large hay mow. A white horse among the Chapman horses got loose during the night and ascended the narrow stairway to the floor above. When the horse was discovered it was also found impossible to attempt getting the animal down the narrow stairway. A block and tackle was secured , the horse was trussed up, taken through a window in the hay mow and lowered to the ground, with no injury to the animal. The brick-arched barn is yet in use. -(Dan Netter)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~