NOTE: This column started in the Warsaw Daily Times on January 13, 1932 and appeared daily through the end of April, 1932. You will find lots of names and incidents mentioned. All has been included along with credits. The date of the newspaper will be at the at the TOP of the column. Several columns will be included in each segment. Names have been bolded for emphasis. There is no indication who compiled the column for the paper. Marge

Part 5

Our Town and Others "Way Back When"

Warsaw Daily Times March 1, 1932

Remember when:
Warsaw was first chartered as a city in May, 1875. The first officers were Mayor, Hiram S. Biggs; clerk, Chas. H. Ketcham; treasurer, S. B. Clark; marshal, Joseph A. Wright; civil engineer, Caleb Hughes; city attorney, Edward J. Greene; assessor, James Wynant; chief of fire department, Joseph A. Funk; councilmen, Thos C. Stuart, S. W. Chapman, A. J. Bair, D. R. Pershing, Nelson Nutt, James McMurray; school trustees, N. N. Boydston, J. D. Thayer, Chas. Wahl, H. W. Upson; board of health; Dr. J. H. Carpenter, Dr. I. B. Webber, Dr. C. W. Burket. As first mayor of the city of Warsaw, Mr. Biggs served for four years. He was followed by William Cosgrove for two years. Edward J. Greene then headed the city government for four years. For the next six years Lemuel W. Royse was the chief executive. Then came John H. Brubaker for four years; George Moon, two years; James H. Cisney, three years; B. F. Richardson, three years; Andrew G. Wood, three years; Chas. A. Rigdon, three years, B. F. Richardson again became mayor and served for eight years; Chas. A. Rigdon, his predecessor was again chosen for the office and served until his death in 1819, when L. W. Royse was appointed by the council to act in the capacity of mayor. The following year Mr. Royse tendered his resignation and John A. Sloane was selected for the unexpired term at the conclusion of which Mr. Sloane was the choice of the voters at the following election and held the position for a period of four years. John G. Hansman then headed the city administration for a four-year term, and was succeeded by the present incumbent, Lewis J. Bibler. While on this topic, it may not be entirely out of place to state that Warsaw first emerged from a system of village government and was incorporated as a town in the year 1859, with the following citizens comprising the first official roster. president; John K. Leedy, Samuel H. Chipman, John W. Pottenger; treasurer, Chas. W. Chapman, clerk, Oliver Musselman; assessor, James Wynant; marshal, Presley G. Frary. After a brief time Mr. Frary resigned as marshal and William G. Chapman was appointed to the position. Prior to its many able-bodied unafflicted men with whom work appeared to be distasteful. Fire-fighting equipment consisted of two fire engines, one of which was operated by steam and pumped water from the cisterns, forcing it through the hose and throwing the same to a height equal to the town's highest buildings. The other engine, so-called, was operated by hand power supplied by a number of volunteers who manned the long horizontal handles on either side. The hose carts consisted of large reels mounted between two wheels about six feet in height. The company in charge of the steam engine was known as Protection company N. 1, while the hand engine organization was called Never Fail company No. 2. Though the fire fighting methods then employed were rather crude in comparison to those of the present day, the firemen were always ready and willing to render service and were tireless, loyal and efficient. On numerous occasions visitors to the city in those days were amazed that Warsaw was without a system of water works and yet had a lake of one hundred acres within two blocks of the court house. -(E. C. Aborn)

John Randall's minstrels held forth semi-occasionally in the old opera house. These entertainments were always in favor with Warsaw's amusement-loving public and the opera house was invariably crowded from pit to dome at every performance. The entertainment proved beyond contradiction that Warsaw's home talent of this character was in many respects equal if not superior to some of the more pretentious professional organizations. John Randall himself was a professional blackface comedian and a song and dance artist of more than ordinary ability. However, Warsaw was his home town and his idea of civic pride was to develop some of the home talent which he always claimed was her in abundance. Among those who comprised the personnel of Randall's minstrel organization may be mentioned Thomas Hubler, Harry E. Williams, James Marvin, Billy McGovern, Lew Benson, George (Chris' George) Smith, James Carter, Charlie Carter and Will (Wabash) Smith. The music and specialties were O.K. in every detail and withal the entertainments were meritorious. At a later date George Hendee formed a minstrel organization including a portion of the "artists" formerly identified with Randall. -(E. C. Aborn)

The east side of Buffalo street consisted for the most part of one-story frame buildings. Let's squint a retrospective eye at that portion of the above named street, between Market and Center in 1875. On the corner James H. Cisney's dry goods store, next came Emil Keller's barber shop, then Lyman Sapp's drug store; the next building, the only two story frame in the row, housed Z. C. Bratt's shoe store, with a shoe repair shop upstairs, operated by Dan Bratt; then a bakery, for so many years operated by J. J. Varil; next door was located the Van Gilder hardware store. Here the frame row was broken by the brick structure which housed a clothing store owned by Henry Zekind, now occupied by the Globe clothing establishment. Across the alley we observe three more frame business rooms, the first occupied by Philip Huffman with a stock of groceries, the second by Hendee & Glessner's shoe store; the third was a two-story edifice in which was located Mumaw & Peterson's grocery. Then comes the old landmark, the three-story building so long known as Shane's corner, now occupied by the Warsaw Candy Kitchen. This latter structure, together with the one housing the Globe Clothiers, are the oldest brick rooms now standing in Warsaw. It is well to remember that the sidewalks in Warsaw's business district at that time were not to exceed five or six feet in width and were constructed of boards nailed to "stringers" Cobblestone gutters and hitching racks bordered the walks and a paved street was undreamed of. Mrs. Joseph Thorne, of West Jefferson street, is authority for the statement that her father, the late Andrew J. Nye, in the year 1836 erected a long house on the site afterward known as Shane's corner, in which he conducted a general store. A chimney of brick was constructed, instead of the customary log chimney, and was said to have been the first of its kind in this section. Brick was quite expensive in those days and had to be transported for a considerable distance by ox teams over trails through forests and swamps. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 2, 1932

Remember when-
Fifty years or more ago all Warsaw stores were built with their floor level some several feet above the ground level so entrance was made by ascending several steps. This type of construction enabled the basement to have windows. However enterprising merchants soon discovered that customers generally preferred to walk into stores which were on the sidewalk level and now you find very few business rooms built otherwise. -(A. B. Sloan)

Sixty years or more ago when there was but one house in the west part of Warsaw. Sol Miller built it on West Market street, across the street from the Peterson Lumber Company's present site. Four-foot walls made of stone formed the foundation, laid in the side of a small bank. Across the street one could catch catfish in a pond. Many years later Prospect Hill was the elite real-estate development of the city and on that small promontory fine homes were erected by Oliver Matthews, Lem Runyan and Robert E. Encell. -(A. B. Sloan)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 5, 1932

Remember when-
Speaking of circuses, how many persons can recall the days when exhibitions of this character traveled over land with horse-drawn vehicles? Long distances between "dates" were not possible, as is now the case, with railroad transportation. When a circus cavalcade would enter Warsaw, particularly from the east, a halt was made on the shores of Eagle (now Winona) lake until horses, elephants and other animals were watered, wagons and other paraphernalia being subjected to a thorough ablution. The canvas and pole wagons were then dispatched into town while the remainder of the outfit would be gotten in readiness for the grand street parade.
On one memorable occasion Adam Forepaugh's "World's Greatest and Only Colossal Circus and Menagerie" arrived from Fort Wayne during the morning hours. As usual a large delegation of townspeople met the aggregation at Eagle lake. Conspicuous in said delegation was, of course, the inevitable army of small boys. At the conclusion of the work, of washing up, preparations went forward for the grand parade. The horses, elephants and camels were covered with gaudily-braided robes and multi-colored plumes fastened on their heads, while the drivers donned uniforms of brightest hue. Then began the work of selecting the required number of small boys to occupy a seat with the drivers of the various wagons and hold aloft banners during the course of the parade. Conscription was unnecessary as the number of volunteers was overwhelmingly in excess of the demand. The writer was among those accepted for service and had the profound distinction to be placed beside the driver on the mammoth grotesquely-embellished band wagon. Clad in a red coat and wearing a tiny hat, meanwhile holding aloft a big blue banner with the inscription ___ formed thereon in gold braid, behind a team of eight prancing steeds to the pulse-quickening music of a real circus band, a thrill was experienced which can better be imagined than described. The procession entered the city limits on Center street and proceeded westward over that thoroughfare until the Kirtley House (by which name the Rigdon block, recently torn down to make room for the Eagles building was originally known) was reached. Here the parade was halted, the band wagon directly in front of the hotel entrance. To the strains of an inspiring tune three individuals emerged on to the balcony from a door on the second floor. They were General Reub Williams, Colonel Joseph B. Dodge and Adam Forepaugh. After an introduction, Mr. Forepaugh made a short talk in which he praised Warsaw's beautiful location and complimented the citizens upon their good judgment in having chosen it as a place of residence. He also feelingly referred to the time when he first formed the acquaintance of Messrs. Williams and Dodge, during the tempestuous days of the Civil war, he having also been an officer in the Union army. At the conclusion of Mr. Forepaugh's remarks the assembled multitude rent the air with vociferous cheers and the band rendered "Marching Through Georgia" with a vim such as only a circus band can provide. The bell of the big bass horn in that band was in uncomfortably close proximity to the aforesaid banner bearer's ear and its sonorous tones made an impression that will ever be a reminder of the event. The occasion was a bright spot in the memory of Warsaw's populace, particularly the "Kids" participating in the parade, all of whom received a "pass" for the afternoon performance. -(E. C. Aborn)

Basket ball was merely a football game played indoors in the winter months. Players were allowed to put one arm around an opponent or wrestle the ball away from him with both hands, provided both arms were not locked around the opponent. There was continuous bodily contact and the game resembled a wrestling match. The favorite stunt was for the player in possession of the ball to turn his back to his guarding opponent and lean far over, holding the ball away from his opponent's reach. This forced the guard to crawl up over the back of the ball-holding player. When the guard got mounted on the player's back the player with the ball would rear back and upwards throwing the guard head-long over his shoulders, somewhat in leapfrog fashion. The guard would crash headfirst on the hard floor after the player had straightened up suddenly to full height, making it quite a long dive for the guard. Lots of bad injuries resulted. But what fun it was for everyone except the victim. Marsh Wallace, of Leesburg, was most adept at this. Games were played there in a small one-room church under gasoline lights. If Leesburg was being defeated Wallace would throw the ball at the lamps and the game would be ended because of darkness.

Children walked to school instead of arriving in private automobiles which stood outside the high school building here all day long. There were no school busses. Warsaw school children walked to their homes at noon instead of buying their 30-cent luncheon and ice cream uptown. Stores kept open in the evening to enable farmers and workmen employed during the day to do their shopping leisurely in the evenings. Giggly school girls did not wear expensive silk stockings to their classes. A dish of ice cream and a picture show were rare treats instead of a steady daily diet.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 7, 1932

Remember when-
The story of the late Charles A. Rigdon, as told by himself, concerning the incident which started him on a successful business career. When a boy he resided with his widowed mother in a modest little home on North Columbia street. At that time the territory at the rear of his house was an expanse of vacant lots. On one occasion a circus was to exhibit in Warsaw and had arranged to pitch its tents on the vacant area. Like many other boys of that period, Mr. Rigdon was on the scene and had been pressed into service by some of the canvas hands to run errands, "carry water for the elephants," etc. During the progress of making ready for the big show it was discovered that the area contracted for was inadequate to the requirements of the amusement enterprise. The owner of the adjacent lots was summoned and an effort made to negotiate with him for the use of his property. The owner asked a rental price which was deemed by the circus management as exorbitant, whereupon the show's representative inquired what amount the lot could be purchased for. A price was given and whatever the amount may have been it was quite reasonable. Just how the circus people and the property owner settled the matter is of little concern, but it gave young Rigdon an idea. He had a few dollars saved up, earned by doing odd jobs about town, so why not purchase that lot as an investment. He thereupon consulted Mr. James McMurray, then president of the Lake City Bank, who encouraged him by agreeing to assist him in financing the deal. Young Rigdon soon became owner of the lot, and thereafter directed his energies to acquiring real estate until he became one of the city's heaviest property owners and most prominent business men. He was twice elected mayor of Warsaw and was the only chief executive to died while holding office. Mr. Rigdon often narrated the story of his experience to his intimate friends and always insisted that the circus incident formed the nucleus which placed him on the road to a successful business career and made him a man of affairs. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 16, 1932

Remember when-
The male quartette which sang at all republican political demonstrations in Warsaw. The quartette was composed of John Staley Wynant, John M. Reid and the blind Richhart brothers, Nelson and John. The glee club, as it was sometimes called was regarded as an almost indispensable part of the Republican organization in Kosciusko county. The campaign songs rendered never failed to make a hit and a Republican speech without selections from the glee club would have been much like a play of Hamlet with Hamlet left out. The popularity of these singers was by no means confined to Kosciusko county alone. Not infrequently were they participants in political meetings in neighboring counties. -(E. C. Aborn)

Martin M. Martin took the contract for the work of excavating for the canal which at one time connected Center and Pike lakes. That was back in the '80's and steam shovels were not as much in use, consequently the entire length of the canal, a half mile, was excavated by men with shovels. And the work was completed in a remarkable short time. It was the intention of the promoters of the project to run small steamboats from one lake to the other, but owing to the fact that the waters of Pike lake were found to be slightly higher than Center, thus necessitating the construction of a lock, the canal was used but little, and only then by rowboats, finally being abandoned altogether, However, it had the effect of draining quite a large area of low land in the north east part of the city. The C. W. & M. Railroad company very generously constructed a bridge of sufficient height to permit the passage of steamboats under the tracks, while the Pennsylvania Company donated a large steel bridge which spanned the canal at Detroit street. Both structures have long since been removed. But those were busy days in Warsaw town. -(E. C. Aborn)

The raids frequently conducted on watermelon patches located within a radius of several miles. Among the most outstanding and indefatigable chieftains of watermelon banditry may be mentioned Peter Fogle, now the illustrious mayor of Dutchtown. In bygone days the intrepid Peter and his organization could always be depended upon to purloin a greater tonnage of cocurbitaceous fruit than any similar band in the county. They were fearless, and possessed the rare ability to select the choicest melons on the darkest night equally as well as on the brightest day. -(E. C. Aborn)

Excursion trains arrived almost daily from north, south, east and west for Spring Fountain park and Lakeside park. The railroads had a reciprocal traffic agreement whereby C. W. & M. (Big Four) trains were run over the Pennsylvania tracks to Spring Fountain park and the latter road routed trains over the rails of the former into Lakeside. Few were the days during midsummer with an excursion party -sometimes two or three in one day. Sunday was usually the big day, with band concerts and dancing at Spring Fountain park, while vaudeville entertainments were given by the pavilion at Lakeside. Steamboats did a thriving business and the lakes were dotted with rowboats. How times have changed! -(E. C. Aborn)

Ed ("Speck") Ettinger was a local celebrity as an acrobat. Though an amateur, he was really a marvel, and it was said of him that only his extreme modesty prevented him from entering the rank of the professionals Like "Tom Twist," in our old-fashioned "Fourth Reader," it may be remarked that
"Speck" was a wonderful fellow,
No boy was so nimble and strong:
He could turn ten somersaults backward
And stand on his head all day long. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 17, 1932

Remember when-
The county and state used to pay for tuberculosis tests of cattle, vaccinating hogs, inoculating chickens, spraying of fruit trees, weeding of onions, corn plowing, killing of sheep, manicuring and hair combing for the agrarian, and at the same time successfully reducing taxes. If you remember this or any portion of it you're a liar! It never can be remembered.

Dear Editor, Do you remember when us girls wared long dresses-and whin men stood at street crossings or mebby I shud have sade on corners at street crossings to watch us girls cross, think mebby they wood see a calf? Also whin the men cashed thier checks at saloons and saloon keeper keap most of the check for drinks the men had on time. Do you remember the wimen of these men took in washing to help keep the family or to put back in family purse what saloon keeper took out and when us wimen wore hoops. Great days these wure. Oh boy! Just a memory from Nellie Lillian Iseemore

Charley Grabner's ice-boat on Center lake. On a windy day that craft, as Charley piloted it on trips around the lake, much resembled a white streak and would have caused a traffic officer of the present day to become dizzy and tender his resignation. -(E. C. Aborn).

What became of those Easter eggs filled with maple sugar and colored sugar brown with coffee? Oh, boy!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 28, 1932

Remember when-
The late Bill Yost, local cigar store proprietor and well-known wag, attended a Sunday movie show in Chicago. His new shoes hurt his feet after walking many miles window shopping so once inside the show he removed one shoe and rested his foot in it. Pretty soon interest in the show took his attention and he took his foot off the shoe. As he moved around he shoved the shoe into the aisle and incoming or outgoing theatre-goers kicked the shoe down the aisle until it was lost. At the conclusion of the show Yost could not locate the missing footwear. Ushers helped hunt. Patrons were asked to stand while the hunt continued. They became angered at being thus interrupted and voiced their indignation. Yost left shoeless and attracted quite an admiring throng of funsters as he hobbled down Michigan avenue in one stocking-covered foot. Shoe stores were closed on the Sabbath. The hotel manager finally dug up an old slipper from the lost and found department of the hotel.

Main street ended at Tamarack and the boys played shinny with tin cans in winter and duck-on-rock in the summer where the paved street is now. Games continued at night under the street corner arc lights until neighbors complained and Charley Douglass chased the gang home.

A. T. S. Kist had an apple orchard and a hand cider press where Attorney Allan Widaman's home now stands. Of the thirsty boys one would visit Mr. Kist in the gravel pit or at his home while the rest helped themselves to his apples and made all the cider they could drink.

The automobile first made its advent in Warsaw in 1903. Frank Hafer, of the firm of Hafer & Richardson, brought the introductory machine into the city, a Locomobile, propelled by steam generated in a small boiler heated by a gasoline burner. Next came R. Gordon Rutter with a machine called a White Steamer, which derived its power in the same manner. Then Dr. W. H. Eggleston introduced the first auto into the city to be operated by electric ignition and gasoline explosion, the method of operation in use today although vastly improved. Dr. Eggleston's machine much resembled the old-fashioned side-bar buggy and was quite appropriately called a "horseless carriage", if it had a name, but the same has long since excaped the memory of the oldest automobile authority in the city. The John Collins fell in love with a one cylinder Cadillac, known to the populace as a "one lunger". Instead of the steering wheel of today, this car was guided with a horizontal rod much resembling an umbrella handle. A short time later Elmer Vandermark, who resides near Palestine, came into the picture with an Oldsmobile of the vintage of '93, and it is stated that Mr. Vandermark still retains the machine, not for use, but as an antique. Quite a contrast to the multiplicity of improved automobiles in the community today.
The number of autos owned in the city today is estimated at 1,500, while the number in the county is said to be 6,000. In this connection it may be of interest to note that a history of the automobile from its inception down to date elicits the information that in the year 1879 Carl Benz, of Germany, invented the "two-stroke motor" and in 1886 he drove the world's first motor car through the streets of Munich. It had only three wheels. On April 19, 1892, the first gasoline automobile in the United States was operated by its inventor, C. A. Duryea. He also won the first American contest in Chicago in 1895. In July, 1894, Elwood Haynes drove a gasoline car of his own invention. Both these machines are now on exhibition in the Smithsonian Institute at Washing. The present holder of the automobile speed race title is Capt. Malcolm Campbell. Among others who have achieved renown as speed racers may be mentioned Kay Don, Segrave, DePalma, Frank Lockhart, ray Keech and Billy Arnold. A story is told that in the days of ancient Rome the Emperor Commodius built a "horseless carriage" in order to give a new thrill to one of his lady loves. It was described as a vehicle of which "the wheels turned of themselves on their axles," owning to an ingenious mechanism. Its hourly mileage is not stated. It was this same contraption which caused the first accident. The emperor the tale relates, desired to "show off" his new invention and decided to drive to the arena and show the charioteers how fast he could go. On the way to the arena, however, he met a general on horseback. The horse became frightened and the general was unseated, and in the commotion the new car struck a market wagon and the emperor and his lady friend were pitched out, "injuring their pride". The statistics for 1931 reveal that there are 21,000,000 automobiles in the United States. Also that the U.S.A. leads the world in automobile productions. This contribution would be incomplete if it failed to make reference to the homemade auto constructed a number of years ago by the late John Bond, who resided on the King's Highway near Winona. This contraption somewhat resembled a dinky switch engine in backward motion. Its approach could be heard for a distance of three blocks and the sound of its exhaust and rattle of the mechanism might be likened unto a group of cement mixers and a mechanical carrier in a coal yard operating in unison. Its speed is unrecorded. Though not "a thing of beauty" John always maintained that "she got there just the same." Never having had the advantage of education or training, yet John Bond was always regarded in the community as a mechanical genius of rare ability. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times March 29, 1932

Remember when-
The Pennsylvania railroad doubletracked its line on the Fort Wayne and Chicago division in 1891-'92. J. H. France & Sons Company had the contract for the work and they established their headquarters in Warsaw. A number of work trains were stationed here and many men employed. The payrolls were diverted almost entirely into the channels of Warsaw trade. With the beginning of double-track service safety gates were erected and maintained at the principal street crossings of the road in the city. However, at a later date the city council for some reason granted the company permission to discontinue watchmen and towers at Lake, Indiana and High streets, necessitating the watchmen at Washington, Buffalo and Detroit streets to operate two sets of gates. Charles O. Davis was given command of the gates at Buffalo street when they were first placed in operation and he is still on the job in charge of one of the eight-hour "tricks" -a record of thirty-nine years on one job. -(E. C. Aborn)

A few days ago there appeared in this department an item in reference to the introduction of the bicycle in Warsaw. A statement was therein made that Charley Funk was owner and rider of the first high-wheeled bicycle to be purchased in the city. It should have read Elmer Funk, his brother. Charley Funk, however, introduced the first high-wheeled bicycle built with the small wheel in front instead of the rear. It was known as the "star." Elmer Funk is one of the few original cyclists of the community who still indulges in that mode of transportation. Almost any day in favor weather Elmer may be seen on the streets assiduously propelling his "safety" bike. -(E. C. Aborn)

Don Crites furnished the equipment for the athletic field on East Main street, being the two blocks (then vacant) west of the East Ward school, and Joe Funk and Perry Easterday, both being lefthanders, put it over the rest of the fellows with their unexpected left hooks at boxing. It was a real exhibition when Joe and Perry hooked up together with their south-paw punches.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times April 2, 1932

Remember when-
The engineers engaged in making the preliminary survey for our system of waterworks.In ascertaining the area of Warsaw's three lakes their report was: Center lake, 140 acres; Pike lake, 220 acres; Eagle (Winona) lake, 554 acres. These same experts also submitted a report of Warsaw's population down to date, including an estimate of the number of inhabitants the city will contain when the decennial census is taken in the years 1940, 1950 and 1960, vis.:
1835, Founded
1850 --400
1860 --1,500
1870 --2,400
1880 --3,123
1890 --3,573
1900 --3,987
1910 --4,430
1920 --5,478
1930 --5,721
1940 --8,700
1950 --10,300
1960 --12,000
-(E.C. Aborn)

Boys with shoe-shining outfits were numerous on the streets of Warsaw. That was back in the '70's The "outfit" consisted of a small wooden box with straps attached to one end which was slung over one of the boy's shoulders as he paroled the street in search of customers. Within the box were brushes and shoe polish, while on one side of the box was attached a block upon which the customer would place his foot during the shining process. These youngsters were quite ambitious and were on the alter. On occasions when a crowd would be attracted to town the "shines" would ply their trade with a vim worthy of emulation by business men of more mature years. Frequently some of the boys would transfer their activities to neighboring towns on the occasion of a gala day. In the summer of 1875 two of Warsaw's industrious "shine merchants," namely Lewis Neer and Al Cuffel, made a trip to Plymouth, where some sort of celebration was in progress. They made the journey via Pennsylvania freight train, a practice much in vogue among young men and boys of that day. They remained in Plymouth until a late hour at night, when they boarded a fast freight train for the return trip home. They were riding between the cars. When about two miles east of Bourbon a big, burly brakeman while walking over the train espied the lads and commanded them to get off, at the same time striking at them with a heavy club which he carried. Al, leaped from the train and alighted safely, but Lewis, in his haste to disembark with his shining outfit thrown over his shoulder, made a misstep and fell beneath the wheels. One arm and leg were terribly crushed and he was hurled down a steep embankment. Al witnessed the accident and called to a couple of other boys who were farther back on the train to alight and come to his aid. They did so, and Al instructed them to run back to Bourbon and report the accident. Meanwhile Al took the unconscious form of Lewis in his arms and endeavored as best he could to minister to his comfort and stop the flow of blood. His messengers to Bourbon had made haste and soon returned with some men on a hand car, on which the unfortunate lad was quickly placed and taken to Bourbon. Dr. C. W. Burket, the company's surgeon at Warsaw, was at once notified and rushed to the scene on a special engine, but a few minutes after his arrival Lewis Neer died without having regained consciousness. In commenting on the unfortunate affair in The Indianian, General Williams laid great stress on the bravery of Al Cuffel, then a boy of fourteen, for his tender car and efforts to alleviate the suffering of an unfortunate companion. The editor proclaimed Al a juvenile hero. In later years, when referring to the experience above related, Al Cuffel has always maintained that he has never been inclined to superstition or posed as a believer in miracles. Yet he avers that when he saw those wheels crush the form of Lewis Neer, notwithstanding midnight darkness prevailed, a circle of light as bright as the noonday sun appeared for an instant around the form of the unfortunate lad with his shine box and little round hat as they lay beside the rails. "And it wasn't imaginary," says Al, "it was real, and such a light could only have emanated from some superhuman source." -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times April 4, 1932

Remember when-
The late John W. Royston, Warsaw's pioneer cigar manufacturer, for many years faithfully kept a daily record of the temperature as registered by his thermometer. Mr. Royston was authority for the statement that the winter of 1875-76 was the mildest on record. The thermometer on January 1, 1876, and July 4 of that year registered the same, 70 degrees above zero. -(E. C. Aborn)

A postoffice was established at Eagle Lake (now Winona Lake). Fred Beyer was the first postmaster and received his appointment in February, 1890. -(E. C. Aborn)

Playing truant from school was a practice more or less indulged in by lads in the days long gone by. Occasionally a reminder of those times will come under the observation of some of the participants in that forbidden pastime. 'Way back in the year 1875 two boys, Ed ("Speck") Ettinger and Johnny Millice, were one day indulging in this practice and spent the time roaming around the shores of Center lake. At that time O. P. Jaques had erected large ice house at the foot of Buffalo street. To kill time the boys with a pocket knife carved their names on one of the boards used in the construction of the building. The ice houses have long since been torn down. Not long ago, Mr. Ettinger, while passing a place on North Buffalo street, observed some men removing a barn. Momentarily stopping to watch proceedings he noticed an inscription on one of the boards. Imagine his surprise to find upon examination the identical board bearing the inscription, "J. Millice and E. Ettinger, 1875," which he and his companion truant had carved fifty-seven years ago. When the ice house was torn down a portion of the lumber was sold and used in the construction of the barn referred to. Mr. Ettinger secured the board in question and prizes it as a souvenir of school days. Mr. Millice, who will be well-remembered by older residents, has been located in Chicago for a number of years. -(E. C. Aborn)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Warsaw Daily Times April 9, 1932

Remember when-
The "old graveyard," was situated south of the plant of the Warsaw Gas Company. This place was allotted for use as a cemetery in the town's pioneer days and continued to be used as such until the establishment of Oakwood cemetery. The major portion of the remains of the dead were exhumed by relatives and transferred to Oakwood and elsewhere, though the remains of many departed ones doubtless yet lie beneath the sod of an unmarked grave. Here were interred the bodies of many of Warsaw's early inhabitants, and numerous are the descendants of the older families who can recall the existence of the old burial ground. When first established as a "City of the Dead" the location was considered quite a distance from the main part of town. Gradual increase in population, however, rendered expansion necessary, and in the course of time the cemetery was no longer in the quiet exclusive zone regard as appropriate for reverence for the dead. Furthermore, the building of the C. W. & M. railroad in 1871 necessitated the vacation of about fifty feet on the west side of the cemetery grounds. The construction of the gas plant acted much against its future desirability as a burial place; switching tracks from the railroads were built in undesirable proximity, all of which rendered enlargement of the grounds both impracticable and undesirable. Hence the movement to secure a more desirable location as the final resting place for the departed. While strolling a short time ago through the east part of the old cemetery tract, the writer came upon a few old gravestones, moss-covered, broken and partially embedded in the earth. Investigation disclosed on one fragment the name of one of Warsaw's progressive business men of former years, John Lane. Mr. Lane conducted a jewelry establishment in this city during the pioneer days and was a man well and favorably known. -(E. C. Aborn)

Oakwood cemetery was formally dedicated in 1874. This acreage was formerly owned by the late Dr. Jacob Boss and was sold by him to the city for a nominal sum, provided however, that he should be the first person to be buried there. Dr. Boss passed away August 28, 1874, aged 58 years. His funeral was held on the 30th and interment was made in the location designated by him and reserved according to agreement as the "Boss family burial plot. An imposing monument now marks the spot which is know as "the Boss Circle". Two other members of his family, a wife, a daughter and two sons also are laid at rest there. Dr. Boss was one of Warsaw's leading citizens. His funeral was one of the largest in point of attendance, ever held in the city. The procession was headed by the Warsaw Silver Cornet band which played the funeral dirge as the cortege proceeded to the new cemetery, now regarded as one of the most beautiful in the Central States, overlooking from its eminence the crystal waters of Pike lake and blessed by nature with an abundance of shade trees and thrifty shrubbery, all enhanced by attractive walks and winding drives. Dr. Jacob Boss was the father of Mrs. Wilbur F. Maish, of this city. -(E. C. Aborn)

The disastrous Winona fire of April 18, 1914, eighteen years ago this month. The conflagration was caused by the burning of piles of leaves which had been raked up near the park entrance. After the fires had been lighted a heavy wind suddenly came up and the leaves were blown promiscuously among the frame cottages in that locality. A house adjoining the Winona Hotel became ignited and the flames, fanned by a strong west wind which swept across the lake, leaped with astounding rapidity from one cottage to another. The Winona volunteer fire department was powerless to cope with the situation and the Warsaw department responded to a call for aid. As a last resort to check the onrushing flames, dynamite was employed to blow up a couple of buildings further up Chestnut avenue in the path of the fire. This had the desired effect. The flames were thereby brought under control, but not until twenty-three cottages had been burned to the ground, few if any of the contents being saved. Only by almost Herculean effort on the part of the firemen was the Winona Hotel saved from destruction. A company from the Fort Wayne fire department had been requested and was rushed to the scene on a special train, but did not arrive until the fire was virtually under control. This was one of the most stubborn conflagrations that ever occurred in this vicinity and the loss amounted to several thousands dollars. However, work of clearing away the debris was soon begun and it was not many months until new and pretentious homes covered the area laid waste by the flames. Since then Winona has been provided with a modern system of water works and an up-to-date fire department, rendering a repetition of such a disaster almost impossible. -(E. C. Aborn)